1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What brands stay brightest the longest?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm running into some serious issues with the longevity of my strings. I can literally turn a brand new set of the strings dull within a 30 minute set. Just last night I did it with a brand new set of Dunlops that I had installed the night before. I was hoping they'd at least last me for the two gigs I had this week, but nope :meh: So yeah, any suggestions? If it matters, I'm not a fan of steels.

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I use ghs bass boomer and it last me around 10-13 days.. I plaid 3 hours a day btw

3. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    nano webs work great for me.

4. I like the longevity of DR Hi Beams and Fat Beams, as far as uncoated string go.

5. You have to try coated strings like Elixir or DR Extra Life.

6. That's a shame, because a set of GHS super steels would probably fix your issue. The set I had lived on a Bass for 6 weeks before I took them off. They still sounded even and bright, I just prefer another type.

But if your set on nickels, D'addario 2 for $20 packs are hard to beat. SIT are strings are worth looking in to. Their nickels weren't the brightest IMO, but they sounded consistent for a decent amount of time.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Well in general I dont like bright strings, so I always stayed away from the plain jane D'Addario Nickel Wounds.

Also I liked a 105 E so switching to a lighter gauge can make them seem brighter. So I played around with 100 E and started to like the lighter .045 and .065 G and D strings but hated the lighter .080 A and lighter E so I would buy a 100 and 105 set and use the heavy 105 E and .085 A then use the lighter D and G.

Long story, but hence brighter tone for slaping, but I like to pound the heck out the A and E so heavy strings so they didnt sound funny when playing hard and for de tune also.

Well D'Addario makes a custom set just like this...so just kinda went with the brighter sound to get the custom string set. But dang those string never seemed to chill out. they stayed bright forever.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR generally last longer than most.

Coated DR, even longer!

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Another vote for DR's here.

10. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    The bassists dilemma. I think bass strings should be cheaper. If they were cheaper I'd change them more often as I like the bright piano tone of roundwounds whether nickel or SS. I like to hear that heavy bass sound with that piano thing in the rear of it. Just like hitting a piano string. To each is own though, I mean I read enough about guys who like the warm boom boom sound of flats but I happen to be at the other end of the spectrum. I like the modern,hi-fi,hi-tec bass sound. To give you a clue, Wojtek Pilichowski (Bass Talk) Live Profilaxe. The sound of his Mayones when slapped is killer. It's like the next step in generation from the MM slap tone. Hi tec, hi fi and cuts through like a knife.

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    DR's for me.

12. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    DR fat beams and hi beams outlast any uncoated I've used.

13. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    DR's again. Can't speak of the sunbeams but hi beams and lo riders lasted way longer than any other brand I've tried (which is all the common big names).

14. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Good news and bad news: the good news is that if you're "killing" strings in 30 minutes there's a good chance that soaking them in alcohol for a day or two will bring them back since you're not playing them long enough to fatigue the metal.

The bad news is that your body chemistry reacts strongly to nickel plated strings and no particular brand is going to change that to an appreciable degree. This means you either pursue the path of coated strings or the path of swapping strings every day and always having 2 sets soaking in a tube full of alcohol.

FWIW the most pleasing, bright sounding nickel strings I've played are Fodera.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Of the strings Ive tried and liked, DR Neons would be the longest lasting for new and near new tone.

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If steels aren't to your taste, I would suggest DR nickel LoRiders. You get the longevity of nickel, plus the longevity of DR.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions guys - and sorry I haven't gotten back to you all sooner!

I was using DR for awhile, but I always found something about them to be... off. Hi Beams and Lo Riders especially had some sort of quality about them that didn't sound right to me. Dunlops and EBs have always treated me right in the tone department, but my lord those strings do not last long at all. I may have to give SS strings another go.

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    dr nickel loriders and ghs boomers have lasted me a long time

19. J2Kbass

J2Kbass

Nov 14, 2011
    Gainesville, FL
    I have tried MANY different brands all with same bass/amp/cabs to make the strings the only changing variable. In my experiences I've found earnie ball, fodera, and ken smith burners ( all nickel) to stay brightest the longest.

Drs were good as well but for some reason I have never enjoyed the feel of steel.

Coated strings "last long" but they are never as bright as non coated rounds. IMO.

All of this is just my opinion based on my own experiences.

20. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I have DR Lo-rider nickels on my SBMM 5'er and D'Addario XL Nickels on my Schecter Stiletto 4. I actually prefer the tone of the D'Addario strings just a tad more than the DR strings, especially during my attempted slapping. I've had the DR strings on for 4 months, so I'm sure that I am overdue for a string change.