What did Mel Schacher use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, May 17, 2002.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Grand Funk was the first concert I ever saw. My brother took me to see them when I was about 11 years old. I think I was a little too young to really appreciate what I was seeing. Living in the Detroit area, Grand Funk were always playing around town in the early days. IMO Grand Funk is one of the best bands to come out of Michigan.

SwitchGear and Guiseppe like this.
  2. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    the GFR "Red Album" should be a listening standard for bass players....Mel's a beast on that from beginning to end.

Milo Spleen, Rock O, Guiseppe and 3 others like this.
  3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I had an old West 2x15 cabinet in the mid 70's. It had a pair of EV SRO'S and was made of inch thick particle board. It weighed a ton! It was fairly compact from the front, but was very deep. I drove it with an SVT and it sounded great.

4. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i saw them in hyde park 70/71, cant realy remember the year with humble pie on the bill also,and i could feel the bass through my stoned haze. my mates commented on it. terrific afternoon
    ps we were at least a half mile from the stage.i miss them dayz

Guiseppe likes this.
  5. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    thats hyde park london by the way. i believe you have a stateside version.

6. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Wow, love seeing this thread re-surface - I am a huge GFR fan and fan of Mel's playing!

Mel's playing convinced me to start playing bass. I even hooked up a BigMuff to emulate his tone. Saw them MANY times here in Philly at the old Spectrum. Always great shows and of course LOUD! Mel, IIRC, for most of those shows was using his classic two WEST Fillmore heads with 4 2X15 cabs. I never observed this myself, but rumor has it that with Mel being so skinny, the SPL from his cabs vibrated his body, causing him to look blurry on stage to people in the front rows.

One of the concerts here, the band got stuck in a traffic jam coming into the city. Billy Preston was the opening act (he did a great warm-up set actually). He did a 30 minute version of "Will You Go Round In Circles". We found out the next day that he was stalling for time until they could get GFR to the show.

Guiseppe likes this.
  7. denton57

denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Same Hyde Park as the Blind Faith DVD? Lots of crowd shots on that DVD. Looks like a great time and a great era to be watching concerts :)

Guiseppe likes this.
  8. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Mel was a deciding factor in my playing bass,
    and a definitive influence on my style.
    I too tried a number of distortion devices to imitate the sound,
    and blew more than one amp with over-zealous use of LPBs.

When asked my influences, I say Mel.
    Usually the next question is "who?"

9. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Check my avatar. Seeing this again make me want to get the 73 jazz out of retirement.

Guiseppe and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. denton57

denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    So which is the best live album between '71 and their first one? I have '71 and it is pure rock. So raw, which I love. I'm not a fan of TNUC, but totally dig everything else.

11. Saw G F Summer of '70..2'nd Atlanta[ Byron, Ga] Pop Festival. Schacher used West Amps for thatshow.

Only bass player I have ever seen with 'true' pants flapping form his speakers. Even blew his hair when he faced his cabs. Lots of sound pressure levels emitted from his West rig, then.

Saw G F in Fayetteville, Ga a couple of years ago. He used a Zon Sonus bass and SVT RIG..Probably, the S V T was a a provided backline rig.

You could definatly hear his Zon bass cut through.

Guiseppe likes this.
  12. A 6-piece version of G F RR plays Peachtree City, this weekend.

Only original members are Schacher and drummer. Bruce Kulick is on guitar with GF RR .

Kulick played guitar in Fayetteville.. 5 piece version of GF RR that tour. Schacher and drummer/ vocalist were only originals in that version as well.

Bob Lo likes this.
  13. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    One of the most requested tunes (in my 3pc) is a live version of Closer to Home,with just the 3 of them, no orchestration.
    Mel starts out with a blindingly funky groove.
    Mark comes in with some string rakes,one big-azz chord & stop, then his hook lick.
    Whole version is abbreviated.
    Usually OD my pre to get that grindy sound, or bring up the drive control on the line6.
    Gar-ron-teed crowd pleaser..................

SwitchGear likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, depending on who you believe, Mark either walked out or was forced out by Mel and Don Brewer hoodwinking him with a contract. I think it's stupid. The money they could make if Mark was there has to be more than either of them could make separately and then some. But then again, they weren't known for their business acumen.

15. bstark

bstark

Sep 8, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I clicked on the YouTube link posted by daveman50 (Grand Funk Railroad - Inside Looking Out 1969) and started listening to some of those GFR tunes. They sound as good to me now as they did 43 years ago when they were released and I was playing them in bands. There's still that rough and raw power and the overdriven Jazz Bass with the Mudbucker pickup that really gets me amped up. It really was an integral part of their sound, and after all these years, the energy is still there! I never got to see them live, but my friends who did were truly blown away.

Fortunately there are entire live concerts on YouTube that can help bring me back and feel some of the excitement of an early 70 GFR show. This was an exciting time in my fledgling bassplaying career and my life. I'm happy that Mel and GFR were there for me.

Thank you TBers for this awesome trip down memory lane!

Bob

Guiseppe, Rebel Rocker and bobyoung53 like this.
  16. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    you bet. floyd,broughton, war,stones, too many to list(or remember).i dont get sad but i do yearn for those days of classic music and the vibe was just too much.

SwitchGear and Guiseppe like this.
  17. denton57

denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I think this would be the Live '71 version?

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Love that avatar 73jbass. I still have that album on vinyl!

19. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Agreed bstark. I recently watched a really great YouTube vid of Footstompin Music. Craig Frost (who had joined the band on keys) is on it but Mark Farner plays the main organ parts through the verses then jumps on to the guitar lead - seamlessly.

20. JimmyM...

Another GF RR story version is that Mark ..' found the lord' ..and disdained secular music. ...Also heard Farner moved to FLA??..

But even after his conversion.. Several years back, at Variety Playhouse, ATL..Wife & I saw the REAL REUNION OF GF RR .. played no gospel tunes.. to a packed house.
    ..S R O ... Played ALL their hits and then some..really thrilled the crowd.

And regarding your other comments.. I find that Music is great. HOWEVER..Sometimes..well..most often.. the music business??? Not so much.

Long live GF RR and go see G-F as a 5-6 piece if you don't know any better. [OTOH.. It was a treat to hear Kulick..he plays quite well..] but without Farner?? It just ain't GF RR.

Too many shows these days are 'has-been tours'.. I have seen:

...' 2/3 Dog Night'..Still beautiful voices... and with original electric guitarist??

....We saw ...'a rememberence of BS And Tears'... oddy with Chuck Negron on vocals . His voice was PERFECT...but with BS&T?????

hOIW ABOUT .....STAR SHIP..featuring Mickey Thomas... Essentially the 'Mickey Thomas Show.'. However.. his voice is better than ever.. no electronic vocal enhancements. Still hits the highs with a tone to die for. We stood at the board..had loong talks with sound guy prior to the show.

...And the 'ONE [ORIGINAL] MEMBER REMAINING Tour' of our beloved Atlanta Rhythm Section....We boycotted that one...

OK.. BACK ON TOPIC.. THANKS FOR LETTING ME RAMBLE..

Guiseppe likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021