What did Mel Schacher use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, May 17, 2002.

1. If we're going to talk old school distorted bass... Felix Pappalardi.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

MrNylon and LetItGrowTone like this.
  2. DennisM

DennisM

Dec 28, 2018
    Wow You have the same opinion I had about Mel and Berry and Chris. They were my inspiration to play bass. Unfortunately Mel especially and Berry Oakley are totally underrated and it has bothered me for years. They deserve more recognition.

fig and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  3. DennisM

DennisM

Dec 28, 2018
    I read somewhere that he had some kind of electronic mod right on the amplifier by Mr. West.

4. JackieStarr

JackieStarr

May 18, 2005
    Yes, the L.O.U.D. mod (from the catalog):

L. O. U. D. =

L = Locked-in
    O = Optimum
    U = Ultra-Gain
    D = Device

L. O. U. D. eliminates the cut functions of the tone controls and at the same time removes the phase distortion inherent in all tone control circuits. It increases the audible frequency response giving a richer fuller tone. This device does not increase the power of the amplifier, but allows full power to be obtained with a smaller input signal. This means the amplifier will sound at least TWICE AS LOUD.

Attached Files:

danster and LetItGrowTone like this.
  5. lespaulbass

lespaulbass

Jul 27, 2018
    earth
    Most of the pictures show Mel using West amps. I do remember one picture from a studio. He was sitting on top of a Kustom 100 - one 15 inch speaker amp. I was very familiar with that amp. It has a blistering bass tone sound. Sitting on it slightly changed the sound. I guess we do not now if it was for practice or recording. I was there when they arrived 'On Time" Those 3 guys absolutely blew down live -- punishment for most other bands. total everything live. The Red Album (pretty much a musicians album) -- answers any questions about their unusual style. Those guys were good. Remember, Mark farner was a bass player also. Survival album -- the bass parts are totally cool. I can say that their first 4 or 5 albums are really a great case study for any bass player -- not so much to copy sound, but for note selection and continual hypnotic persuasion -- permanent.

johnnynitro and LetItGrowTone like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021