What did Mel Schacher use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, May 17, 2002.

1. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'm a Funk Guy but Mel is one of the biggest bass influences in my 42 years of playing. I still have that upfront in your face, take no prisoners approach to playing bass. He is an awesome player IMO. Imagine the 70's, in the inner city (Da hood) and I'm cranking GFR. I turned many a brother onto GFR. GFR got much love in Da Hood :)

3. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013

Yep, that's the one.

SwitchGear likes this.
  4. pgk...

He used WEST amps. A litteral wall of them. I believe they out of production for some time..Frankly..never saw them used after early 1970's, when Acoustic, Sunn and Ampeg
    S V T pretty much took over the arena rock stages.

Maybe a re-issue exists??..but not 'Westone'.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables

Attached Files:

• Mel.jpg
      Mel.jpg
      File size:
      20.8 KB
      Views:
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Two more Mel Pics. One is pre Mudbucker and other is with Mudbucker. Can you imagine running 8-16 15's Damn!!!

Attached Files:

Rebel Rocker and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. 8 x 15"s whoooo hooo! :eek::thumbup::D
    What fun!

Bill Whitehurst and Rattman like this.
  8. i dream of hearing them..only as Acoustic 408's.. that would ONLY be 2 or 4 cabs as a 408 has (4)15'S.

But yeah..litterally a wall..litterally pants and hair flappin' power on stage.

[Phillybass101: Heard 'When a man Loves A Woman', this morning on radio.. Much love for classic Soul/ Mo-Town/ Philly sound.. 'out of the hood', as well. Glad we are musicians and hear it as MUSIC..not as 'something else' for either genre.. Even Ray Charles made some of the best country hits EVER.

Glad you enjoy and spread the love for G F RR ].

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Here's a little bit of Grand Funk trivia for you. Grand Funk Railroad took their name from Grand Trunk Railroad which is a rail line that runs from Port Huron, Mich to Chicago and runs thru their hometown of Flint, Mich.

10. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    thanks for the g.f talk guys. im 37 years old and i distinctly remember listening to g.f as a real young child. the song that always freaked me out was paranoid when the baby cried at the end. lol. i have always been a g.f fan since i can remember (see avatar) and as of now, the red album is blasting. cheers to mel for influencing me getting into bass. cheers! oh. and i got my band to learn winter and my soul :) one of my favorite basslines of course. what a treat to play ;)

SwitchGear and Rebel Rocker like this.
  11. denton57

denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    That is an awesome story. It's interesting how a certain player really influences your style when you first pick up an instrument. Personally, I listened to a LOT of Hendrix back in the day, and his energy along with Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell and has always influenced my approach to playing guitar and bass. Not in a flashy way by any means, just the raw pure energy and tone. My main band at the moment has been playing country a LOT, so it's hard to really play with the aggressiveness and drive I feel in my hands.

However, I'm a part of a new band that's forming, and we've been playing 70's rock primarily so I am really excited about the future. I'm putting I'm your Captain/closer to home on the list :)

Hearing the Live '71 album this morning on the way to work, Mel's tone and playing is just so tasty :). I wish I had a Jazz with a humbucker.. Maybe that's my next project.

12. George Mann

George Mann Inactive

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    The only difference between these 2 pics is that one has the cover that was hiding the 'Bucker.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  14. Zwoof

Zwoof

Oct 19, 2013
    Last night (10/18/2013) Mel played a Zon thru 4 Ampeg 8x12's and 3 Ampeg heads. I was on the front row and my hair is still slicked back.

Rebel Rocker and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    After reading all this I'm heading for my mancave to listen to all my old GFR albums....on vinyl!!

16. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    Mel was one of my biggest influences when I was growing up. I saw then 4 times at Madison Square Garden in their hey day. He was actually a pretty aggressive player for his time. He seemed to have a lot of confidence. I wonder if they have one of those tracks where they isolate his bass playing in the studio...

17. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    High Point, NC
  18. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA

I liked his bass playing back in the mid 60s when he was with ? and the Mysterions and when he played with GFR later, despite never having watched the Simpsons. He was one of the bass players who shaped my early interest in bass, along with JPJ, Jack Bruce, Glen Cornick and Jack Casady.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I read that same story in an old bass player magazine so maybe it was true?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021