1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What did you learn today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PWRL, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Everybody must learn something each day, or at least once per week.

Today I learned that squirrels swim. Forty-two years living in the midwestern USA, plenty of time outdoors, and I never knew that. I mean, it stands to reason once you think about it, but it never did occur to me to check up on that until today.

What did you learn today?

2. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Today, I learned that it is entirely possible for an engine to form ice crystals on it while running. Coolest thing ever.

3. I learned that editing 2:24 out of my 7:24 solo bass recording improved it a lot.

Alik, Stumbo, TolerancEJ and 2 others like this.
  4. Interesting. A while back, I learned that I don't have to cram every single note possible into a part.

5. Well, I learned that my job I started two weeks ago was ended today.

I also learned that Outback Steakhouse has a lousy idea of how to cook steaks. (no, the meal was paid for by a friend taking my wife and I out to try to forget the job situation) All of the pictures looked like medium rare to me except the well done. And that is exactly how they cook them. Huh? Not a good time for me.
    sigh.
    Russ

Randy Ward likes this.
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I learned that some people are crazier than I even gave them credit for, and that is not a good idea to ever say (even inside my head) "I think this particular staffing issue is solved."

47th Street and Mktrat like this.
  7. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Bummer about the job! Want mine? :D

8. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I learned my dad was a deeper thinker than I thought. Was reading some of his old personal letters and journals.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Today I learned that being in the moment is harder than it sounds.
    Once you're in the moment, it's gone. And then it's the past ...

10. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    I learned that Merle Haggard died.

Gopherbassist and Datsgor like this.
  11. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I learned today that the largest cash gift you can award to one of your kids without having to pay taxes on it is $14,000.00. Thanks mom!

P.S. The vast majority of which will be going to a new IRA for my daughter's post high school education.

12. Two Florida hunters said they bagged a 15 FT nearly 800-pound alligator that had been feasting on their farm cattle

Gopherbassist and Big Shrek like this.
  13. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Just did online traffic school, so what kinda obscure road advice do you need? Pretty sure I can discern the right of way crossing train tracks with a class B vehicle with handicap plackards during inclement weather. I also learned that driving just a little bit more focused or calm Will save me hours of boring reading. Oh and motorcycles need their tail lights to be 15" Or more off the ground.

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I learned a new way to take chances, I'll let you know if I get fired.

15. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Amplifiers
    I learned that once you invoke your right to an attorney under the 5th amendment, the police can't ask you about the same crime again until 14 days after you have been released from custody after Robeson v AZ (not sure about that case name). I'm in law school. I learn too much most days...

Gopherbassist, Big Shrek, ICM and 2 others like this.
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I learned I'm both a hack bassist and a hack poster.

bolophonic and Salicete like this.
  17. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Did you find an easier way to photocopy your junk? You know how it goes; no pics...

47th Street and slobake like this.
  18. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Nope, I keep my junk in the trunk.
    Pretty crazy at my job now. Lots of change don't know who I can trust.

theduke1 likes this.
  19. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    I have learnt several things today that I would not care to divulge. It's kinda icky.

20. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Today I learned that my voter registration form I sent in in February to change my party affiliation was either not received or the information was not updated.
    Vote in on April 19th, so I'm going to Board of Elections tomorrow to take care of it.

Spidey2112 and 47th Street like this.