1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what did you think when fender started making instruments in mexico

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 19, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Just got my hands a new mim p bass lpb finish gold anodized pg maple fretboard I love it but what did you guys think when the mim stamp first showed up on your basses was it disappointing or do you think they started making cheap guitars or did you not care , also before the mexican plant opened did they sell American guitars for about the price of a mim now or were all new fenders $1000+ or did they use cheaper parts but still MIA , I want to know so old people tell me

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought, "Hmmph. Now people who couldn't afford them before will be able to get Fenders." And I'm old.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I didn't think anything. Fender started in Mexico in 1990? I do remember several friends warning back then that they had really liked their Mexican basses until the necks twisted up and they became unplayable. I have no idea if that was a real problem or just a local complaint.

4. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    It's proven true for me :( My Mexi J's neck is slowly, but surely, bending itself towards the bridge. Still playable, intonation is *acceptable*, just kinda, y'kno, sucks.

5. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure about the twisted neck story. I haven't heard that one.
    Actually in the beginning the bodies and necks were made at the Corona plant and shipped to Mexico for assembly. I can't remember the exact year, maybe 1998, late ninties anyway, when they started cutting the wood in Mexico.

6. Tele295

Tele295

Jan 8, 2002
    Ventura, CA
    My 91 mim pbass neck is right as rain. It has a truss rod

7. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZ BENZ
    I Dunno....in my 40 years of playing, I never once owned a Fender bass.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    FWIW, I don't define "twisted" to mean the same thing as bowed. And while I was told what I was told, I have only actually seen Mexican Fenders with bowed necks. And only one was not fixable with a truss adjustment.

9. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Wow really why do they just not stand out to you or what I hesitated to get my first because I felt like everyone had one but compared to my big clunker t bird it played like heaven , so what basses do you like

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The bass you have sounds like it's a 50's classic, which would put it a few notches above a MIM standard in build and finish quality. Plus, different hardware and possibly pups, depending on what year model. The MIM Standard I used to own also devoloped a neck twist. The 50's Classic model I owned became my main player and was awesome in every way.

11. I have an MIM Jazz and it's a great bass. It's just priced more rationally than the US series.

12. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Fender had a variety of "student" guitars over the years that were sold somewhat cheaper than the standard models. They always had cheap guitars, but by moving some production elsewhere they made certain models more available to people with less money. Also, I believe that Fender had production in Japan even before Mexico, so I bet anybody who had tremendous concerns about outsourcing got their shock well before Mexican production started

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I don't remember an exact date, but, in general, my initial thoughts when I found out were that they must be lower quality than their American counterparts. Now I don't think that's necessarily true. Cheaper labour, yes. Generally lower to mid priced models, yes. Lower quality components, sometimes.

There's a lot of decent stuff coming out of Korea, Indonesia, China and Mexico these days. As they do more, they seem to be getting better at it. Plus, I bet the companies that set up shop in foreign countries still oversee the quality aspects of their instruments. After all, they still bare their name on the headstock.

14. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    It could be a 50s classic but I didn't think they made those in lake placid blue its was either made this or last year s.n. is mx11155363 I paid $500 new for it because the owner said it sat in his store for up to a year and he wanted to get rid of it . It's an amazing bass also itgis is a really beginner question but how to I raise the action the shop had it screwed up if you play the strings open it buzzes on like the first fret

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Ah...it was the Gold Anodized guard that threw me. Do a search on "how to set up my bass" here on TB. I could tell you, but there are many others here that already did a better job of that. Taking the time to learn how to set up your bass is rewarding and will get you more familiar with it.

16. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I can't comment on Fender basses, but I bought my first MIM Strat in 1991 when I was a poor college student and happy to be able to afford a Fender on a minimum wage payscale. It was a good instrument and played the heck out of it, then sold it around the mid-2000s when I got more into bass and acoustic guitar.

17. Faraday

Faraday

Jun 20, 2012
    What I thought at that time was that Fender was going to turn out stuff that looked like Fenders, played like crap, would be cheaper, and would not be worth it because they would be low quality and you would pay for the Fender name.

That is what I still expect when Fender or another company moves production to a cheaper place. I don't expect people who have no experience and no heritage of being part of the brand to build guitars as well as people who have experience and the pride that can come from having been with a company for a long time. In some cases, after a decade of building basses and guitars, the lower cost place starts turning out pretty decent ones. Sometimes not.

18. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

I thought well now.....you got a choice. You can have your Fender made in Mexico by Mexicans or you can have it made in California by Mexicans ;) It's all good.

Rezdog

nuhckes8 likes this.
  19. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    My 91 MIM Jazz is stable as any Jazz out there (no twisting or bowing of neck, stays in tune well). However, the body, neck, and tuners are the only original parts)

20. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    I thought it was fine until I played them and owned them. I've never played one that didn't feel cheap. Same goes for the guitars. I'm sure there are some good ones. But in general, they are sub par.

I believe the Squier CV's (which are essentially Squiers "custom shop") are better than the MIM Fenders.