1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do say when people ask about your band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, May 14, 2019.

1. Jon McBass

Jon McBass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    Good year to be a Bruins fan. Re: Brass Bonanza, Whalers RIP... Guess maybe that would be a fun tune to pull out when you play there.

I used to play in Noho and the Happy Valley for many years. Miss the music scene there.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    :cautious: "Sorry..." :rolleyes:

BassCliff likes this.
  3. misslynn909

misslynn909

May 13, 2019
    I had two bands in Junior High and one a few months ago (I'm in High School). My ex bandmates or my friends always bug me to start another band. My boyfriend (now ex, he's a dbag, lmao) was in one of them, that, of course, didn't work out well.
    My family always says, 'well, you still play bass! Why don't you start another band?' I always get the 'hey, start another band' by friends and family. I was the only one that took it seriously. Everyone else was goofing around. A friend of mine was scared to sing. I just broke it off.
    My bandmates don't even know how to play. Our 'drummer' didn't have a drum set. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stop forming bands in High School or at least wait until they can actually play. :meh:

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I try not to talk about it. I do have fun at the gigs, even if they are cringy and we don't get many people dancing (gotta slow it down, a little bell bottom blues! ZzzZzz) but it isn't something I really feel good about advertising.

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

"We are the band your mother warned you about."

"We are the band most popular among lonely housewives, insomniacs, alcoholics, truck drivers, and those inclined toward deviant social behavior."

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

slapshot, tubedude, Stumbo and 4 others like this.
  6. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Or, "the more you drink, the less we stink!" :woot:

7. Me too, after the Forever .500s flew south (NLCT native here)

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  8. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    "uhh... indie?"

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    What do say when people ask about your band?

One of my goals in life is to never make it in the music business

BassCliff and Bunk McNulty like this.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It's always best to set attainable goals! ;)

BassCliff and Bunk McNulty like this.
  11. Dougflores

Dougflores

Jan 18, 2017
    People: “So what kind of music do you play?”
    Singer: “Psychadelic Dream Rock”
    Me: “Alternative”

12. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Singer: "So folks, if you have requests, just shout them out, we'll play anything except Zorba the Greek."
    Audience Member: "Freebird!"
    Singer: "Sorry, that's (Zorba the) Greek to us..."

13. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia

14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nothing so far...but I should really start saying this if people ask...

15. I agree with this. I post about every show multiple times on Facebook and describe what people can expect in glowing terms. It's no coincidence that the room tends to fill up with people that I know, and not so much those people who aren't posting about it.

Back in the day I was a lot more shy about shouting from the rooftops because I didn't want to be seen as self-serving, but these days that seems to be the way the game is played, so I don't care anymore. I will shout all day long.

16. Our band takes it one gig at a time. We are just happy to be here. We hope we can help the music scene and make our fans happy.

And after we release our first CD, we are going to PARTY!

lat likes this.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    i had a guy ask me where i learned to play bass.i told him i learned in prison.

18. We pretend we're a band.

The tip jar is for music lessons.

lat, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, chaat enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    early 80s: "rock 'n' roll!"
    mid 80s: "reggae"
    mid/late 80s: "Heavy meadow/Birkenstock rock" (you'd probably call that a jam band today)
    90s: "puro pinche hard core onda chicana tex mex de Califas"
    00s: "my imaginary Latin jazz band" (multitracking at home)
    Today: "well, I've got this ex-con biker band thing, plus a R&B/soul singer who's tryna do a Diana Krall thing, plus a guy who wants to put together a chicha/psychedelic cumbia act, and an angry slav on guitar who wants me to play bass with him, and about a million flakes from Craigslist who sound really excited but never show up for anything..."

20. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    We play the stuff everyone wants to hear .......but not like this

JRA likes this.