1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you Eat before gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sspear, Mar 9, 2019.

1. I for one do not like to go onstage full. I like to eat 2 or 3 hours before I play. I’m trying to eat less carbs these days but is good to carbs before a gig? What is your experience?

2. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Coffee. I eat a coffee.

DadRola, bozric, JeroB666 and 45 others like this.
  3. Ha i’ve done that and 5 hour energy.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Most gigs are hours after supper. I just make sure it isn't too heavy.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No Dairy Queen’s, Dilley Bars, etc. :smug:

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    For pragmatic purposes - about 2 hrs before downbeat...McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder Meal. Cheap, can eat it on the go, keeps me from wanting to eat anything else for the next 18 hours and most importantly the ability to delay any need to visit the loo until the next morning.

Worst thing I can do is chow down on a big plate of spaghetti or a salad. That spells trouble by the second set.

7. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Whatever I’m hungry for.

8. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I keep it light.

Unless it's free, then I eat everything I can fit in my face and proceed to suffer through the gig.

9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Since most shows are pretty late in the evening, I usually have to eat something. I try to keep it light.

EatS1stBassist and Moosehead1966 like this.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Very light if at all.

11. kev451

kev451 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2014
    New Jersey
    Rum and coke

12. Depends on when we play vs when we load etc. if we have time to eat a few hours before we play, I try to eat something light if I cant find decent veggie pho near by. if we don't have time for a meal, ill eat a banana a bit before the show, a V8, and maybe a snack pack of peanuts depending on how hungry I am.

13. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I'm type II diabetic. I know that I need ~120 calories/hour to keep my blood sugar from crashing. Crashing is very bad. It can take 30 mins to recover if it does crash. So I do the math. That usually puts me in 700-1000 calorie territory for a typical evening gig that might have me loading out at 1:00AM. So big meal. But if I'm singing, I allow a couple of hours for things to digest so that I'm not burping when singing.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Anything the venue will give you 1/2 hour before. lol

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play in churches. I get to the place at 6 or so in the morning (I leave home about the time I used to get home after a Sat night gig). I make a breakfast the day before that I can heat and eat at 5 AM - before I leave home, so I have something in my stomach.

Sometimes we get fed on stage, but it's not much - half a shot of juice and a tiny little cube of bread.

16. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I don't have any kind of regimen. Most gigs give me dinner. I eat off the menu. At ribfests the line up is so long we end up eating on stage, which gets BBQ sauce all over the neck. If it's a road gig, and we eat on the bus, or in a van I avoid Mexican.

dannydabiker and EatS1stBassist like this.
  17. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Usuually a submarine, 6 inches, at subway. Enough to not be angry, not too much to feel bloated.

18. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    What's the best pre-gig meal for metal?

Raw steak?

19. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Liquorball sandwiches, bud.

EatS1stBassist and HardNHeavy like this.
  20. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    This seems applicable here. Yes that is actually me.

BergerHead, SteC and JC Nelson like this.