1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you Eat before gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sspear, Mar 9, 2019.

1. stubborne

stubborne Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    If yer lucky, it's what you eat AFTER!!! Amirite.. or amirite?

2. Old man

Old man

Mar 11, 2013
    Anderson, SC
    Nada
    I always eat light before a gig - usually 2-3 hours before. I have to watch that my blood sugar levels don't drop, so I generally make sure I have some protein around during the gig, like a bar of some sort. It is not entertaining when the bass player is jitter-bugging onstage. Some players can down a burger and fries then get on stage and play. That is not my preference.

sspear likes this.
  3. I don't like to be too full before going on stage... but I do like to eat beforehand otherwise I'll be hungry during a break or VERY hungry after a gig.... we were lucky at our last gig (wedding) as there was some desert left over and a cheese board that we could nibble on during our break :thumbsup:

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    2 cheap-o pot pies. I like 1 turkey & 1 chicken and brocolli.
    Bake a potato, slice open and smash. Add butter, garlic & onion powder, paprika, and pepper.
    Pour ranch dressing over spud and pour the two pot pies over everything.

5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    The food I like I like to eat would probably taste pretty bland to you. lol

6. would you like fries with that? lol

7. Les Tiller

Les Tiller Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    None
    Always had a big bowl of red beans and rice, with a side of boiled cabbage downed by a couple of cheap beers. Hmmm. Come to think of it, might be why I had to drive myself and they always seemed to stick me behind the drummer. ;)

GIBrat51 likes this.
  8. Clarence Walker

Clarence Walker Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Baltimore, Md
    I’ll eat 3 or 4 hours before. Not too heavy. Then have an Excedrine and pale ale before hitting stage.

9. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I usually eat dinner.

Les Tiller likes this.
  10. 1FrugalBassist

1FrugalBassist

Feb 26, 2019
    Sounds like left-over communion. 1oz. grape juice and 1 small unleavened bread. Leftover Sunday School donuts and black coffee is what I was offered during a Sunday Evening service. So, yeah, better to plan ahead for sure.

11. LKTraz

LKTraz

Dec 11, 2016
    Hegins, PA
    Rather meager indeed.........and stale to boot!

12. Manuel Bass

Manuel Bass Commercial User

Jun 23, 2017
    No disclosures
    So you need insulin a coke on the stage I’m diabetic too and have also cereal bars in the car and snickers it’s really problematic when your sugar goes down because your brain doesn’t work

13. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Yup, I try to be as prepared as possible. I use long acting insulin once a day in the morning. No need to worry about elevated blood sugar. It’s crashing that’s a mofo, as you noted.

14. Manuel Bass

Manuel Bass Commercial User

Jun 23, 2017
    No disclosures
    Coke on the stage man you will be safe and relax