1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you Eat before gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sspear, Mar 9, 2019.

1. You cut back to 64?

2. nothing

3. Costco was out of the 128 packs.

Nashrakh and StereoPlayer like this.
  4. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Half a dozen seasoned wings from the kitchen of whatever dive we're playing, and a pint of Yuengling.

Also, a single Tylenol and a 100 mg caffeine tablet. Met a wise guitar player that had been doing it for like 20 years, and let me tell you, I don't know why it works, but it does. I swear it's some voodoo stuff man.

5. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Gig Newtons

RustyAxe likes this.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm 65 years old ... I eat two ibuprofen tablets.

7. I eat a sensible bean....

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. acfshenk

acfshenk

Nov 5, 2018
    I sing as well, so no dairy or anything acidic if possible because that messes up my throat *and* my stomach. I do something light like a very small sandwich or a protein bar a few hours before. I really don't like much in my stomach when I play. Then I hork down a bunch of food after. lol

9. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    My favorite is Pho - not too heavy, delicious, protein and carbs and hydration all in one yummy go.

10. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I get a Whopper or a Double Whopper at Burger King on the way since my commute to the gig usually falls around lunch and our vendor meals for dinner typically are sparse. I bring four bottles of water in a lunch bag, as well as a sugar free Red Bull for the last set/drive home, as it can be difficult to get a glass of water at some gigs.

11. FenderBass71

FenderBass71

Jul 9, 2017
    I get an upset stomach if I eat before play... nerves... of course, I've only playing on stage for 54 years... maybe I'll outgrow it.

12. Tom Burton

Tom Burton

Jan 16, 2019
    Orange Kush and Molson Canadian...

13. gilthethethrill

gilthethethrill Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Canada
    BEER

14. scooper

scooper Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Madison, WI
    If not on the road and a typical 8:30 or 9 pm start, I will eat dinner around 6 to allow time to get there, set up and sound check. I eat healthy - veggies, some sort of protein, little carbs. Can't go to the venue hungry. The food at most venues is typically fried, carb filled with maybe a wilted salad available and it often is not cheap. I will bring something to snack on immediately after the performance - nuts or veggies - to avoid the all-night McDonalds or Denny's stop. When on the road, I have to make some time to find a decent meal. I agree that eating something spicy beforehand is a bad idea. I make a point of going to the bathroom during every break whether or not I feel like it.

15. JustEarl

JustEarl

Feb 23, 2019
    I make a habit of eating whatever the drummer eats.

Seriously.

16. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    I usually try to eat something before I perform. Nothing too heavy, though; maybe cheese and crackers, a protein bar, fruit if at all possible. I almost always have water or G2 on stage too.

17. Johnny F

Johnny F

Jul 15, 2011
    Aztlan
    Whatever the other band members can't eat because of stage fright. Oyster po-boy, gumbo, etc.

18. bobj823

bobj823

Jan 29, 2010
    Delaware
    We generally set up a few hours before we play. In the hour or so before we start, I check the menu. 1/2 pound burgers are always nice. Pizza, fries, you name it. We expel a lot of energy on stage so it works out well. I'm 6' at 152lbs. However, no alcohol until first break when I have one beer.

19. fritzknag

fritzknag

Sep 26, 2013
    I always try to eat before the gig and I don't eat any differently than I would normally, unless there's free food, then I might eat a little more.

20. LKTraz

LKTraz

Dec 11, 2016
    Hegins, PA
    Food.

Seriously.........whatever is available but not so much that I'm stuffed. Enough that I'm satisfied and not going to get indigestion.