1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you play when someone asks you to play some bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by robby2k56, Apr 16, 2009.

1. robby2k56

robby2k56

Sep 2, 2008
    woolston
    rob
    I was wondering what all you guys play when a relative or a friend asks you to play some bass, do you go for the crazy over the top stuff or simple stuff?
    I prefer to just do slapping coz it always works:hyper:

2. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    Lemon Song?

3. eighrule

eighrule

Nov 19, 2008
    play something extremely simple and try to look like it is one of the hardest things i know how to play. that way you don't get annoyed with people always asking you to play "this one song that they heard once that kinda sounded like this other song"

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Play anything other than slap and a typical layman will soon wonder why they even asked you to play in the first place.

5. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Money

6. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I fly through a walking boogie blues bass line, usually in E but sometimes G.
    It sounds like a "song" because it is the bass line to lots of songs.

7. i play through an altered version of prettymuch any good song by either Interpol or the used..some gooad bass band but in my style as aposed to the origenal.

8. I grab my fishing pole, hook up the boat and say "Lets GO"

I usually just play a funk riff (without slapping) or two, make up whatever comes to my head up the moment. But I always keep it simple. No one likes a show off.

If they are at my house I will show them to how to play the easy 4/4 rock beat on drums and turn it into a little jam.

9. meycom

meycom

Nov 29, 2008
    Southern Wis.
    +1 Money

10. I used to alway play a rock progression out of E with some simple walking involved...
    No more.

Just bought an EBS BassWah One so I play Cliff Burton...(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth

11. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    I normally play a sample of Stu Hamm's bass solo from the Satriani live in san fran cd.

12. If someone asks me to play bass in my house, I turn on my theremin instead and just make it go "eeeeeeoooooowwwwwwwwwwwooouuuuuuuuaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhheeeeeeooooooooooo" until they get annoyed and leave me alone.

13. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Moby Dick. Don't know why.

14. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    Seemann-Rammstien. People always seem to think that I'm playing some classical song. So far the only person who knew what it was was the rhythm guitar player in my band. Either that or Payback-Flaw.

15. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The theme to Barney Miller

16. robby2k56

robby2k56

Sep 2, 2008
    woolston
    rob
    Some Stevie Wonder always gets the parents going

17. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Sitting on the Dock of the Bay.

It makes people go : "Yeah, yeah, I know it, what's that song again ? Gawd, it's on the tip of my tongue" or "Ho, the Top Gun song!".

18. It doesn't matter what I play...several notes into it, whoever made the request either leaves the room or falls on the floor and pretends to be dead.
    Actually, I'd never play solo for anyone who wasn't a bassplayer. If it was a non-musicain friend/relative, I'd hand the bass to them and let them fool around with it.

19. if its some stupid irritating relative/ friend with no real taste in music i find the heaviest doomiest growliest metal song i can and i de tune my bass and play along!
    otherwise i play something else

20. jaws 2 notes

Or Sailors Turnpipe