Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what guitars do i need

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cbrad, Jan 21, 2005.

1. cbrad

cbrad

Jan 21, 2005
    ok, excuse my newbishness, but i have a question. my friends and i want to start a indies/rock band but don't know exactly what instruments to learn to play. I'm planning to play the bass, a friend the leader guitar, another friend the rythym guitar, and a drummer. Is that right? Do I need more guitars? Please reply, thanks!

2. Sounds good. Who's singing?

3. cbrad

cbrad

Jan 21, 2005
    Haven't really worked that out. Also, is it hard to learn to play ans sing at the same time?

4. steal-o-matic

steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    i am relativly new to guitar(2-3 years) and i have no trouble singing and playing, bass is a different story though..

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

If the rhythm is a constant stream of notes (16ths, 8ths, etc)singing and playing is very easy. Alot of the indie bands I have heard play similar to this, so singing and playing should be easy with a little practice. But, when the bassline uses rests, odd time sigs, quick tempo changes, etc, that is when singing and playing is more difficult and requires that you know both parts (words and music) perfectly without thinking about it to hard. I know more than a few songs were I fell apart because I forgot a line and messed up the bassline.

One trick I do to get a comfortable with singing and playing a part; is to learn the part well, and then try and hold a conversation with somebody without messing up the part. Some parts are harder than others but anything can be done with enough practice; even Spirits in the Material World by the Police. :D

6. cbrad

cbrad

Jan 21, 2005
    Ok. I might have to be the lead or supporting singer since nobody else can sing. Would it be wise to get another person who actually can sing (that doesnt play the guitar)? Also, does it ruin songs if a female sings a male song?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I say you have too many guitars. I personally hate playing with two guitarists - there's no room for the bassist to do anything. Kick one of those guys out, or get him to switch to tamborine.

8. cbrad

cbrad

Jan 21, 2005
    Tamborine? That's gonna take some convincing. :smug:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I must respectfully disagree here. It's very tough to pull off a three piece, especially if you're just getting into it. Your guitarist has to be very good at doing the lead licks and filling in with rhythm chords. Likewise, the bass player has to be able to hold the beat while playing occasional tasty fills, without overdoing it. If you want to see the masters of 3-piece, watch a little of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton.

My vote is for two guitarists. You can kick one of them out when the other one gets good enough to hold it all down.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally prefer one guitarist myself. More space for everyone. I feel that two guitars, unless they're played with well-thought-out complementing arrangements, often turn into a big musical mush, particularly in places like garages and small clubs.

11. I encountered a problem early on in my musical career, and that was 2 guitars being unable to sound good in synch. That might be tricky at first, especially if one of them doesn't practice a lot, for example.

Have fun singing. At times it's pretty tough to sing and play but it's rewarding and always fun. If you can find a good singer to do so full time, by all means, but if not, go for it yourself.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Accordian and bagpipes, my man. [​IMG]

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Only one guitarist and a cowbell player.

14. i would say one guitarist and horn (maybe a sax or trumpet) but i don't think that goes with the genre you're playing...maybe a keyboard/piano/organ/rhodes or something like that instead of a second guitarist???

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, I don't want to hear any complaining about two guitarists... try playing with three!

Your lineup seems pretty good, very standard and easy to work with. Just remember, PRACTICE a lot, play TOGETHER a lot! Oh, and hav fun :)

16. I play in a three piece rock band (we mainly do covers)...I play bass, the guitarist is also the lead singer, and of course we also have a drummer. The drummer and I also do some background vocals.

We tried adding a second "lead" guitarist for a while. It sounded pretty good having him play lead and Wayne (our frontman) play rhythm, but the problem was...the lead guitarist was a total ass. He would always be playing way too loud...and he'd blame it on the fact that his Line 6 amp "is digital." Yeah ok...like just because it's digital it's going to turn itself up...OK...

We ended up kicking him out after about 2 months because he wasn't a team player. Now I'm glad we are just a three piece...although a keyboard player could be cool at some point. Anyone else experimented with adding a keyboard player to a three piece rock band?

17. I didn't need guitars...

(Ok, fine, I just wanted to plug my BB song...)

18. In my band we have two guitars, bass, keys and drums. I too dont like the two unison guitars thing. Thats why ours play different part. Usually the Keys and 2nd guitar will switch spots from playing rythmns to atmospheric stuff. The lead guitar and bass mainly carry the melody , sometimes keys will jump in . Drums do what Drums do.

I suggest you get one of the guitar players to learn Keyboard. Its probaly the easiest instrument anyway, least it was for me.

Once yall get better then you can try atmospheric things.

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 on the sax or a horn if you must ;) Actually, a trombone might be cool. A sax player who also plays keys would be ideal! Unfortunately, you cannot just pick up a sax today and be gigging in a month :(

20. cbrad

cbrad

Jan 21, 2005
    Heh, I can play the sax but... im the only one who wants to play bass so i better stick with that.