What happened to Maroon 5?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by t77mackie, Apr 22, 2013.

1. t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA

Rocking out^ guitar music.

Now they just seem like Adam Levine's i-Mac autotune extravaganza with the drummer doing nothing but pressing the 'play' button on the drum machine. And where's Jesse Carmichael these days?

Seriously, what the heck?!?
  2. They sold out. Their first album is really good, awesome bass playing and super solid all around. Their more recent stuff? Radio pop crap.

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yep, they're horrible now.
  4. They've definitely gone pop/mainstream. It's a shame, really. Songs About Jane had some real gems.
  5. Flump

Feb 20, 2012
    Why the band doesn't at least get a side project going with another lead singer is beyond me.

Really enjoyed their first album. It had some great songs with some great bass and guitar playing.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nothing happened. They are a good pop band. Some songs are more synthy than others. It's called diverse songwriting. Levine has always been diverse in his songwriting.
  7. I actually like Maroon 5 as a power pop type band. Train too, I know, I know. Way better than the hipster hoedown let's all get back to roots americana and play the mandolin and upright bass crud that is so the rage right now. Best part is the biggest of those groups is from England LOL! Bleah...
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    you mean "arena folk"?

i'm a mandolin, dobro, banjo-playing roots-music guy since forever, and i hate, hate that earnest singalong stuff.
  9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2011
    The correct answer is, who gives a ****?
  10. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I guess I'm going to be "that guy."
    They were weak before and have gotten weaker. Its a sad state of affairs when Maroon 5 is any kind of standard of rock and roll. They are guitar driven pop.
    What happened? Adam Levine is too busy being "Adam Levine." A band or musician can become famous without getting sucked into a wormhole of their own ego. Most can't.
  11. madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Quote of the day!!!!
  12. droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I am so over folk garbage...
  13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Levine started on the Voice show and sold out big time. I dont know how great they were to begin with, but now, they could swap his vocals with Katy Perry or Keisha and you would know the difference.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't get why folks call successful bands, weak?!?! They make the music they want to do and are successful doing it! And please stop with the sold out comments. That's ludicrous!

You prefer the band continues playing dives and traveling in old beat up station wagons, barely making it from day to day?? Come on, really??
  15. Agreed on the folk thing.... Hate that stuff it's so... I don't know.. Fake..

Alot of people I like enjoy it and have a really condescending attitude toward cheesepop, say what you want about Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, etc... But at least it's honest, and I like it.
  16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Sure, I liked Maroon 5 when they were "heavier" but I never really liked his voice and I'm not in to anything they've done lately. The great thing about music I don't like is that I don't have to listen to it.

I don't quite understand how "sell out" gets tossed around so much. Sell out seems to be equated with making a living doing something I/you don't think you should be doing. If Thom Yorke became a guest host on The View would it just be "so cool to see Thom like that" or would it be total selling out? I think it would be funny, nothing else, not sad, not tragic, just funny. Honestly these guys want to make a living. Do you realize that selling out a huge location in 2013 pays the band 60% less than selling out the same location in 1995's equivalent dollars? That's why you see all of them hawking Beats, Coke, being on TV shows, sponsored, etc. Diversity is the new rockstar paycheck as music isn't quite footing all the bills.

If Verizon or JBL calls, I'm answering.
  17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    he should keep that band rolling, not selling ADD meds, not selling tech, not guesting on hip hop albums, and not modeling/print ads

unless that's not stimulating enough, see my first point i guess
  18. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Success has nothing to do with it, it has to do with them playing lightweight pablum.
    It has to do with what is in your blood. M5 bleeds wine coolers and sweats Evian.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What's wrong with that? If you don't dig it, fine. I'm not getting what the problem is!! He doesn't need your validation. Platinum albums means somebody likes what he does!
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Again, he's doing what he wants to do. He doesn't need your validation. The band is rolling and doing fine! Not sure what you mean?!?!