1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What head should I get for Ampeg 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abcdefranklin, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Whats a good head for the ampeg 810 the only ones I can think of purchasing are the b4r and the svt3pro both used for around 500$ are there any other good heads or better heads for around that price?

2. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Ampeg V4B

3. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    LMII for tube like tone - going rate $400ish
    SWR SM400 for cleaner tone with a lot of snap - $300ish
    GK would be a good choice as well

4. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Wouldn't the SVT-VR work with that?

5. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Ampeg V4B or V4BH

6. If you can find an SVT-VR for around $500 I'm not playing bass anymore.

7. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I'm in the middle of returning an Svt2-Pro brand new turned it on, no volume at all(without maxing out the gain, master) I don't recomend it at all. . I have the svt4Pro which goes through my 810E. This is my main set-up. The 810E deserves a good head. After I get my money back for the svt2pro , count me in for a new Svt Vr, which is what I should have bought in the first place......good luck . . . .

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    all right. now yer talkin' ;)

9. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Sorry. My bad. I missed that $500.00 part.

10. im just looking to be loud and play alot of lows i wont be doing much highs im in a screamo hardcore band.
    Any more suggestions and please make it around 500$ can be new or used.

11. what do you mean by snap?
    and also i just started playing bass but am getting the ampeg 8x10 for sure. I have no idea what a tube sound is vs. solid state. Can someone explain please :/ I thought it would just be better for me to have more watts but alot of people are aiming towards tubed amps.

12. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    IMO a tube amp tends to be smoother sounding and not harsh; the amp speaks more slowly and often times wil have a more even dynamic response

The SWR heads OTOH, speak very quickly with a very wide dynamic range and tend to be a bit scooped sounding in the mid range with very broad low end and high end capabilities

In many ways, the GK heads fall in the middle

But don't take my word for it, try some amps for yourself; I was merely suggesting my favorites for use with an 8x10 cabinet that fit in your budget contraints

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just throwing it out there, but i think a GK 1001RBII (or the 700RBII) are great with an 810 and can be found within your price range, new or used.

14. big dream

big dream

Sep 13, 2009
    you might look around online for a used Sovtek. Those are killer high powered amps. good for punk and metal. you may be able to find one for around 500.

15. Definately, I bought my 1001RB for only 375 used. And with my six ten it crushes, an eight ten would only be better.

16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    If you can come up with $100 more, there's a Traynor YBA-200 in classifieds for $600 shipped. I'd imagine that would sound monstrous through your fridge!

17. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

It sounds to me you'll be back in a few months asking "How come I blew my speakers?" Most speakers will fart out if you crank the bottom end. Continue when they're farting and you'll simply tear up the cones.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I've done alot of shows with my 700rb-II while paired up with an SVT-810e, and they worked quite well together...

- georgestrings

19. big dream

big dream

Sep 13, 2009
    Ah why did you have to bring that to my attention!?! I want that Traynor so bad now... I've been spending so much money lately, but I want that! I might be going broke again... :bawl:

20. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    a used Peavey VB-2?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020