Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What if ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 3, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Someone may have already posted about something like this already but im sorry i couldent find the thread.

If u had been given a insanely large amount of money to build a guitar/bass what would you build?

i personally would try to build a three neck with one 4 string, one normal guitar and one six string. and with as many humbuckers and various other active and passive pickups all the way down the body for each neck. it would weigh a ton though!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It would be a P-bass and have a built in time machine to make it an original '54. ;)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id rather pay a good luthier to make me something, i cant build crap :meh:

4. id use the money to buy various Jazz's, Musicmans and acoustics :D

or warmoth parts :D :p

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh^ yes.

Id pay Nino to make me basses, muahaha

6. i'd take a 6 string warwick thumb and then mod it so it had fanned frets and bartolinis. nothing TOO extravagant i don't think...

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Why don't you just use the time machine to go back to '54 and buy as many '54 Ps as you want?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Time machines are expensive.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's the plan.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    PS , speaking of time, are the TB time stamps still an hour behind for anyone?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep mine are.

Okay, they were. I went to my options and changed my time to have DST always on, since apparently TB hasn't switched over yet.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Okay i guess its cool then, was wondering if i had to do something.

13. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    99.9% of the money would have to be spent on getting an education on how to build anything. haha so I'd end up with used parts from eBay and a weird-looking frankenbass. :)

Jake

14. I'd sneak away with the money and have Carey or JP build me a masterpiece!!!! :D

:bag:

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll bite with something resembling the answer you are looking for:

Custom ESP
    Mahogony F style body, flamed maple top
    See-thru black sunburst finish (see thru on the edges, fading to clear right under the strings).
    Neck-thru 5 peice laminated maple/walnut neck, might replace walnut with something more exotic just to be cool since this is supposed to be an uber bass.
    Two octave fretless ebony fingerboard, no lines, silver side dot markers
    Onboard active preamp with 3 band EQ (probably EMG)
    Either Active EMGs or Barts, with blend control and seperate master volume. Custom wiring job so turning the master volume to 0 cuts off the power supply (hate having to remember to unplug my basses so I don't drain the battery, I prefer to just bottom the master volume and put them back in their stand).

That's pretty much it. Its basically a higher grade version of the bass I have now, in fretless with a nicer finish. Since I'm really happy with my F205 there's very little I'd want to change.

Oh yeah, I have been saving up for precisely this instrument for about a year, I plan to order one when I finish school as a graduation present to myself :)

16. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    With a really obscene amount of money, I would quit my job, hire a real bass master and learn how to play with my current toys better.
    Oh all right, I'd buy a..a..a.. OK an F bass. But only after my bass master set it up. :hyper: :hyper:

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One word:

Dingwall.

18. phillip kubicki jazz basses....mmmmmmm

19. i thought you were done with the kubicki heath?

ive always been drawn to custom warwicks.. yummy.

20. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd only spend and exorbitant amount of money and keep what was left. That's way I'd have a cool custom bass and still have a s**t-load of money left over!!!