What is "clipping"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Dec 23, 2005.

1. leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    im fairly new to playing bass (switched over from guitar) and all i know about clipping is that, it is bad, and my GK 1001-rb is doing alot of it, while not giving me the volume i desire, ..any suggestions?
  2. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    My understanding is that clipping is when your gain hits the top threshold of your amp. I could be wrong.

As far as I understand, you can clip on either end - the preamp side or the power amp side. If it's clipping on the preamp side, turn down the pre gain and turn up the post gain. If it's clipping on the post side, you're sort of out of luck.

If you're using the head rather than the combo version of the 1001-rb, what cab are you using? I would think that 700W would be enough to rattle your windows, but if your cab is 8ohms and rated for 600W, you're not going to get the full muscle of your amp into it.

The bad news is that G-K is somewhat legendary for its lack of quality control. Harmony Central is covered with 2 types of feedback for these amps: "I love it" and "I loved it when it worked"...

Short of a big gig, I can't imagine you needing to push the amp so hard that you'd clip it... unless something is wrong with it.

Chime in, folks who know better than me. I'm just guessing as best I can. I own a combo with built-in compression, for crying out loud! ;)
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA