1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best bass for using a pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madmatt, Nov 10, 2011.

1. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    Seriously, I have decided I want two basses, one for fingerstyle, and one for using a pick.
    I already have my fingerstyle bass, now I need the "pick bass".
    Obviously it will be for playing Rock n Roll, it will wear rounds, it should probably have a fast neck, and it will NOT be a P-bass (that is my fingerstyle bass).
    I like to play the pick closer to the bridge, or right around the 19th fret.
    I am pretty aggressive on the attack too.

Should it be a Jazz?
    A P/J?
    A Ric (God forbid, I do not have that kind of cash:()?
    A (insert bass here)?
    ?
    Please chime in.
    I do have to admit I like the look of those G&L SB-2's, but obviously I can't buy one of everything.

2. a jazz or a stingray sound amazing to me with a pick,but honestly my favorite is a p bass.

3. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    a MM style bass?

4. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    Well my favorite type of bass is a P also, but when I play with a pick it just does not do it for me.
    I have played P/J's with a pick and they sound better to me at least.

5. baskruit

baskruit

Oct 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    T-bird? A pick is more or less mandatory with a bass like that.

6. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I love a pick played P bass with a bit of overdrive, unbeatable and cheap with pretty much any P-bass and a SansAmp BDDI or VT bass. I'm not a huge fan of the soloed P sound but in a band they kill.

Rickenbacker. Lemmy, Paul D'Amour, Chris Squier, Geddy ect. If I could get the Rick sound without having to own a Rick I'd do it in a heartbeat. I think they look flash but I've heard numerous concerns about QC issues. I think they're pricy for what you get and again, not a great soloed sound.

Spector basses with P/J setup. Huge and punchy sounding and totally in your face. A bit clacky when played solo as you'd play them in a band and , if anything, lack a bit of bottom without tweaking.

I like the sound of a picked thunderbird with fresh strings in a rock setting. I'd never own one unless I got it for a steal.

P-Bass or P/J style. The P/J will get you really close and be a bit more versatile.

7. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    +1 on the Gibson T Bird, with a pick it cuts through everything in its path...................:cool:

8. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    I don't use a pick much, but when I do, I like my cort gb34a. The active pre amp in it seems to get lively with a pick, and the strings are close together which makes it comfortable to play with a plectrum.

9. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    All basses are pick basses or finger basses or thumb basses. You're waaaaay over-thinking this.
    What I'm talkin' 'bout...

10. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    You're right, I am over thinking this.
    But I am still getting some pretty good ideas from everyone.
    ;)
    But I did notice that Jazz bass Vega was playing sounded way better with his fingers.

11. Westie808

Westie808

Sep 25, 2011
    A BIG #1 for you sir!! Theres no such a pick bass or a finger bass!! They are all compatible for what ever you want to do with them!

12. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    I dunno if I would go that far. Surely there are some basses that do the pick sound better than others, probably due to PUP placement.

13. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    The pick sound? What's that exactly?
    I could name you several pick players who get radically different sounds.

14. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I've noticed the MM Bongo responds very well to picking. Very well indeed.

15. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    Well I don't mean to be vague. But you must know a pick is going to sound a lot different than a finger, at least usually.
    I guess I like a strong attack which is probably going to be a little on the bright side. But the kicker for me, which may have a lot to do with technique, is I want it to stay focused, which may also depend on the PUP placement. I like to play back by the bridge, so if there is a PUP there it will make a stronger signal.
    Like you said, I may be over-thinking it, but I do not have a lot of experience with different basses, so I have to ask for experienced opinions.
    C'mon, there are no stupid questions, right?

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It does not matter at all.
    You can use a pick on any bass at all( upright might be a bit difficult but not impossible either:))

It should be a bass you like, that's it.

17. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Dude, there's LOTS of stupid questions. :D
    Playing a bunch of basses is really the only way to get this outta yer system...you know exactly what you want and you'll know it when you hear it. Technique is where you'll ultimately end up though. I'm speaking from long, painful, expensive experience.

18. What is the best bass for using a pick? Is this a serious question? I am goin to start a stupid question thread because this one is almost as bad as "whats the best bass for metal?"

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I had a Thunderbird that sounded incredible with Rotos and a medium pick, as good to my ears as my P but in a different flavour.

One day I'll get some sort of a non-rev one to rock out on stage with sometimes- the reverse 'birds feel a little awkward to me and sometimes fouls up our frontman's head on small stages.

20. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    A Gibson bass.