1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the best Hard Rock 5 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iris_Bassist13, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Iris_Bassist13

Iris_Bassist13

Nov 24, 2008
    Hey Talkbass peeps
    I've been playing for 9 years now and I am looking into acquiring a new 5 string bass to add to my collection (if you can call it that).

I was thinking about either:
    1) Tribute by G&L 5 String
    2) The New Sterling MM Series five-er
    3) Ibanez SRX 5 string
    4) Warwick Rockbass 5 string (Streamer or Corvette)

As you can probably tell my budget is limited so I was wondering if i could just get some help from you guys.

Thanks
    Iris_Bassist13

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    the one you play and like, not the one that looks nice on a web page.

3. Iris_Bassist13

Iris_Bassist13

Nov 24, 2008
    well yea i knew that, I mean I just wana know which ones I should seriously look at and try b4 buying.

just lookin for some help

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    WHichever you like playing the most. Seriously.

It won't matter anyhow... you'll be buried under an avalanche of Drums and deTuned guitar's. So just play what you like.

5. Iris_Bassist13

Iris_Bassist13

Nov 24, 2008
    cool
    i mean ill play what I feel is good but im just wondering which will give me the best sound for hard rock

6. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Yeah dude I get what you're asking, but all in all these guys are saying there is no bass that is specifically for a certain genre.

You gotta play what you like. I mean someone's used a Ric for funk, that's not exactly the norm, but I guess the guy liked how it sounded. Just play around and bring your guitar buddies.

The one thing I have learned is what sounds good by yourself and what sounds good in a band are two COMPLETELY different things. So make sure you jam on whatever you wanna get with a guitarist before you buy it. That will give you a good idea of what sounds good for hard rock I guess.

7. Iris_Bassist13

Iris_Bassist13

Nov 24, 2008
    Sweet ok I get what you all are saying now
    Thanks I really do appreciate it

8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Of those that you picked, I like the Sterling and the G&L.

Don't really know anything about the Ibanez SRX, but I used to own a Soundgear back in the day, and it was nothing too great.

Also, I think the Rockbass line is just meh. If you want a Warwick, save up for a Warwick.

I think the Sterling and G&L will give you more tone to work with and more options if your current band doesn't work out and/or you move in other musical directions.

9. noxweb

noxweb

Apr 6, 2008
    Almada, Portugal
    I think spectors have an amazing tone for Hard Rock, but with your budget, i'd definitely go for the G&L Tribute L-2500, because it's versatile too and it's the best value for the money out of the basses you said

and plus, you'll forget about your squier and your t-bird in a flash after you get this one!

10. Iris_Bassist13

Iris_Bassist13

Nov 24, 2008
    Mo'Phat: Yea I own an SRX and its just ok. The sound quality is great but its just got too much thump for me. And yea, I plan to save up for a Warwick Thumb BO 5 string when I get a chance haha, but right now I dont make near enough bank.

Noxweb: Yea I was heading toward the G&L, I play all ranges of stuff so I wanted a bass with a LOT of versatility and I've heard its good for what you pay for it.

I think I'll probly go with the G&L

11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I have a pretty amazing Warwick Corvette Double $$ I play everything with it from Rock to Worship. But it comes down to whatever works for you. I was playing a Lakland before that but the 35" scale was just to long though I think it was an extraordinary instrument for just about anything.

12. Iris_Bassist13

Iris_Bassist13

Nov 24, 2008
    Yea Scowboy I have wanted a Double $$ forever but the price is just not in my range right now sadly :/
    and I have looked into Laklands but I have been told they can really only be used for Jazz music

13. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

I own 3 of your 4 options, i love them all, but go with the SRX, it sounds like a stingray but more ballsy

14. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Out of your choices I'd say the G&L.

Look at Schecter though, great basses.

15. Peavey Cirrus (USA) 5
    I own 3 of them...AWESOME! I told myself years ago that I had outgrown all things Peavey, you know, they make low-mid end gear that you could throw of a mountain and it will still work...Peavey is the TIMEX of Bass gear, not generally known for GREAT gear. That said, my guitarist MADE me try a USA Cirrus out - Impressed to say the least...I left the store with it! I owe him big-time. Since then, I've bought two more and will order a custom shop Cirrus sometime in 2010.
    You can find used USA Cirrus basses for as low as $700...I've been told that the non USA Cirrus models are pretty good and are far less expensive. I've played the Ibanez and the Warwick you mentioned in the original post...the Cirrus is far better.

16. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19

Mar 5, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Check out a Yamaha RBX375 if you can. you should be able to pick one up new for under $400 and I would recommend it for hard rock. I play one and I also had a 4-string version and they seem to have this massive beefy tone. Check one out for yourself though.

17. EB MM Sterling.. if U afford that U R set!!!! GREAT basss! Well my 'ray 5 is!!

18. Ibanez ATK305

19. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    IMHO go for the G&L Tribute,ridiculous instruments for the price ;)

20. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    What he said.