1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the most versatile bass around

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boabski2k, Mar 21, 2009.

1. boabski2k

boabski2k

Dec 24, 2008
    Scotland
    As the title says it all i won't repeat myself.

I might sell two of my gui**** guitars. this would free up the guts of £1000/$1500.

So i want versatility in my next bass, what are my options.

By the way i currently have a fender p/j and a squier VM jazz.

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    No such thing.You can play any bass you want.

3. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Never played one, but i've heard that G&L L-2000s are very versatile.

The video is a review of the Tribute version of it, but they have they exact same wiring and pups and all that good stuff.

4. shirky

shirky

Apr 7, 2000
    Reading, PA, USA
    Well, I'd say you may already have one of the most versatile basses (at least sound-wise) in your P/J...

5. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Corvette $$, G&L tribute, Ibanez SR505... but your basses would be pretty versatile already. Anything you don't like in them?

If you want more versatility, you could always change the electronics, depending on what you want. The ACG preamp (Alan Cringean, Moffat) is super versatile.

6. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a redicoulus stabe of basses at the moment, (Ken Smith CR5, Jay Dee Roadie, a Few Jazzes, P-bass, Spectors, Alembic, Aria SB bass, Tobias) I recently aquired in a trade a Carvin Icon, the build quality was as good as anything in my aresenal, and with a stacked treble, bass and high mid, low mid eq, I think I could get pretty much any tone under the sun I needed....I've also had great luck with my old NS-2 (HAZ board, Booklyn era) I have done everything from country, blues, rock, metal and funk on it...So might look into those two...obviously you can't go wrong with a good Fender either! Hope that helps!

7. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    +1 on the sr505, that's my baby

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    G&L L2000 is a pretty well regarded "swiss army knife" kind of a bass, you could get a used US version for less than half of that.

A Fender Roscoe Beck would be about as versatile, as well (and would satisfy the people who just want to see Fender on the headstock ;)), but it'd be a little more pricey. Still under your limit, though.

9. Agreed on the PJ being pretty darned versatile. Here is a vote for a lakland skyline 55-02or the like. To me that whole series is all about versatlity. I found my 01 to be a jack of all trades and a master of a few.

10. Hello All;

The versatility is in the bassist. Not in the bass. The sound is in your hands. Ever wondered how Steve Harris gets that tone out of flat wounds??? Is not in the gear. It is in his hands. The way he attacks the strings.

Granted, a Jazz is more versatile than a precision. Nevertheless, you already have a p-j. Spend the money on lessons. Become a better musican. Or buy a Boss GT-10B pedal. With that you can control and improve your sound (sky is the limit).

Best regards,

Carlos Peña

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1 for the G&L L2000 and Lakland 55-02. I'm also going to throw my hat into the ring and suggest the Stingray SH.

12. Well, you can use ANY bass for ANY music, really. Most would probably agree that a Jazz is most versatile though.

13. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Lawl.

14. superfunk, you are scathingly analytical. How dare you!?! :)

15. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I agree that the player is the most important factor in the equation, but it doesn't hurt to have a good quality, versatile tool to help you. On that note, an L-2000, a RBIV or V, or almost any Lakland would fit the bill perfectly for versatility and quality.

16. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I know! I just can't help myself sometimes :p:D

17. cheesemaster

cheesemaster Guest

Mar 22, 2008
    a new or used Lakland 44-02 or 55-02 would be the best choice because you can get accurate sounds of the stingray, jazz, p-bass, and also it's own tone.

18. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    What makes a Jazz more versatile than a precision?:confused:

19. C'mon, GE. We all know about your undying love for the P bass, I love mine too, but face it-you cannot get a 'Jaco' burp from a P, nor a 'Marcus' slap tone.

20. Can I answer this? Ok, thanks.

Tonal variation of the dual pickups.

"But all tone is in the hands".

No, it isn't.