What is this amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fat1975j, Nov 18, 2004.

1. I just got this amp and am restoring it, should be ready to play next week. Does any one know about it.

It's the Peavey VTB300 It's got 4 6550 power tubes, 2 7025 preamp tubes and 1 6AN8 Preamp tube (??). I'm guessing it's 200 watts (4x 50 watts for each 6550??)

It looks like it's from the early 70's maybe (but has no serial number). It has really nice components and bombproof construction. I am interested in any information about it the people at peavey have been totally useless, but a schematic would be extremely helpful.
  2. Peavey normally has pretty good stuff on their web site. I plan on buying a schematic for a Probass 1000, the cost is only $2.50. Have you done a search there?
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sounds like it's a Peavey VTB300 ;) :p
  4. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Interesting, web searchs only show your posts and a listing on Tube-shop.com
    http://www.tube-shop.com/au/tubeampref_nr.htm#peavey and it just names the tubes.
    A manual search on Peavey's site comes up empty as well.
    Got me bro.

Try sending a email to AJ or Roger the CS desk types. They miss stuff occasionly in the forums.

rcrimm at
    ajohns at
  5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That Peavey amp, VTB 300, was one of my all time
    favorite amps. Long ago (oh so long ago) I found one
    of those heads and had David Schecter (Schecter
    Guitars) Upgrade parts like tube sockets and such.
    That head on top of a Dual Showman 2x15 box, with
    JBL's, and a 1960 P Bass. I almost forgot how much I
    loved that setup........ All stolen, except for the bass.
  6. FWIW, that tube complement is similar to the Sunn 2000S.
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  8. Just picked up a VTB300. So at least we know there are two of them still out there! Report and pictures pending...