What is this move???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hachimitsu, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Hachimitsu

Hachimitsu

Jun 6, 2019
    New Zealand

At about 0.37 in this song the bass player (Gene Perla) does a very quick triplety bouncy thing...

The landing note is B. The closest I'm getting is a dead note on muted D string, raking onto muted A string, then with second finger C# on A string and landing on B. I still feel it's not quite right...

How would you play it?

(Klaus Voorman does a very similar thing on Jealous Guy at about 1.27 though I don't know if it's exactly the same.)

2. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    Muted F# on the D string (pinky), raked muted C# on the A string (ring) to land on B (index).

Hachimitsu likes this.
  3. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    To help to get that muted, there's a good chance that he used the pinky to roll across for both the F# and C#. I would think that may be the more natural way about it rather than splitting finger independence, just for the muting.

Hachimitsu likes this.
  4. Hachimitsu

Hachimitsu

Jun 6, 2019
    New Zealand
    Thanks..
    Like this?
    Sorry, I realised you can't see my right hand, but I'm raking with my index finger and landing the B with my middle finger.

Edit: I just compared again.. I think he played it on the original faster, more like a double grace note

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  5. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    Sounds good, well articulated.

I think he would have used the pinky for both IMO, it's something that takes some practice, usually referred to as 'rolling'. Rolling 4ths for instance, transferring the pressure from string to adjacent string across the same finger. It has a muting advantage, and on fretless it has an intonation advantage. Jaco used to do it a lot, especially with pentatonic lines. It is easier said than done though to get it clean. But then, nothing worth doing was ever easy :thumbsup:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021