1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is your fav 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hery123, Sep 29, 2008.

1. hery123

hery123

Sep 29, 2008
    which 5string satisfies you the most?
    and if you r goin to buy 5string for like 1000-1500$ what do you prefer to buy?

and what should i buy:confused: as i have that money and i want to buy a nice 5string (no p bass i dont prefer xD)

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I tried 2 5's the other day at Manny's: A Godlyke and Sadowsky. Both were a lot of fun to play. This was my first time trying a Sadowsky, and the low B was FAR better than any other one I have tried to date.

Sadowsky would be my choice.

3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  4. hery123

hery123

Sep 29, 2008
    yeah i checked sadowsky from internet but the cheapest sadowsky is abt 2000$ :p

5. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    I can't decide...

Bongo001.
    large1.

I switch back and forth about every couple of months and every time is like a breath of fresh air. They both have qualities in common, but the differences make me say WOW every time I switch from on to the other.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Used Dingwall Afterburner 1

You will never be disappointed. Best B string EVER! The tone is just superb, balanced and even across the board. They record great, sound amazing live, are a very comfortable weight, they can go from vintage to modern sounds very quickly (neck p/u soloed cops a great P-bass tone), and the attention to detail is fantastic. You won't get more bass for your money anywhere.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Either of my modded 5-string Schecters depending on need. They play almost identically, so I'm 'home' with either.

Studio5 with custom Kent Armstrong humbuckers and OBP-3
    CV-5 with 3 custom Kent Armstrongs (1 in neck, and 2 doubled up in Bridge)

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Used Dingwall Afterburner I. Seriously, they are fantastic basses for the money.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

You should be able to pick up a used MS5 for $1700-1750 if you are patient. I play one and love it. In fact, my other five 5 strings (Lakland 55-02, 2 MIA Fender Jazz V's, a Stingray 5 and a Bongo 5) were getting played so infrequently that I sold all of them and now only own the one 5er.:bassist:

10. hery123

hery123

Sep 29, 2008
    :oops: thats a great bass and great b string realy but i m not so sure that this bass is the right guitar for me as i may not get used to these weird frets as i am a bit newbie xD
    thx for suggestion anyway

11. Ok, we have a price range, but what kind of tone are you looking for? The Peavey Cirrus has smashing quality for the price and I mostly play custom boutique brands. The tone is fairly Ken Smithy, although REALLY sounds like Ken Smith in walnut.

12. My favorite is my 96 Jazz. On the second question, I'd go for that ash-bodied CR-5 Chuck Rainey in the FS section- a steal at it's current asking price.

13. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You don't need to be an expert to play the fanned frets. They took me about 2 seconds to adjust. Once I adjusted, the ergonomics of fanned frets made complete sense. Don't be afraid of them.

However, if you are too nervous about them, my second choice would be a EBMM Stingray5 HS. The necks on those are to die for and they sound huge. Spectors are great too, but I'm not sure what they have in your price range. Maybe a Rebop 5 with an exotic top or a used neck-thru Euro 5. But, there are so many great options in that price range. Its a fun problem to have.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    EBMM or a Warwick.

15. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    My '97 Thumb BO, with an all-wenge neck:
    shutffff004.

....or maybe my '95 Fortress One, also with a wenge neck:
    f1final.

Can't decide!

16. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    +1 very nice 5 stringer

17. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I would go for a Lakland DJ5.
    I prefer my Sadowsky MV5, but in your price range the DJ5 is the best....if you happen to like the J

18. My American Spector NS5 XL is my favorite 5 string. It's not in the price range you mentioned but you can get a Euro model and they are almost as good.

A close second is my Lakland 55 94 and again you can get a 55 02 in the price range you mentioned.

19. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lakland 55-01 without the fancy woods (but swap out those electronics). Or my Noguera:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KO

20. edubb

edubb

Dec 6, 2006
    sound friggin' unbelieveable to my ears :eek:. the best sounding necks hands down imho.