Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is your favorite cab.....

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Sep 11, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I want to hear what everyone's favorite cab for playing is.....I'm looking for something smaller to run with my old bassman 135 (100watt all tube) head due to the fact that I can't fit the bassman 2x15 and the URB in the car at the same time :scowl:

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    JBL EON15 G2
    Transparent, Durable, and well designed.
    But they weight 46lbs even with their neodymium woofer.
    And they're self powered so you don't need a head.
    I haven't tried the 10" version.

3. Eden CX110 - very compact, surprisingly extended lows, good efficiency to make the most of your 100 watts.

"JBL EON15 G2 ... I haven't tried the 10" version"
    Don't bother - nowhere near as good as the 15.

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    LDS 2x8... I run mine with 150 watts from a WW. It's fine for upright, maybe a little anemic for electric.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 If I only bring one cab, I go with the 4 ohm version (of which there are not many). Two 8 ohm VL-208's is more typical. The new EA Wizzy (one or two cabs) is a close second choice for upright gigs.

Tom.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    EA VL208, Acme B1 extremely close second. :)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have an old Tube Works 4 x 10" that I bought from Dave LaRue of the Steve Morse Band that is the best cab I've ever played through. Nice and deep with as many crispy highs as I could possibly ever want without being tinny.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You know, after initially reading your post, I was automatically thinking "smaller, compact cab" because of the space issue. BUT, if you were able to swing it, space-wise, the Bergantino NV215 is most definitely one of my favorite all around cabs. I would not have expected it to be very good on upright, but I had a big outdoor gig wherein I played mostly electric bass, so I brought a bigger rig (NV215 powered by Trace Elliot V-8). Somewhat to my surprise, my old Kay (via Barberra bridge) through the NV215 sounded great. If you like a 2x15, the NV215 is the best I have heard (yes, I like it even better than the near god-like RR/Diesel Mesa Boogie 2x15!), and it really sounds great with a tube head (being a sealed cab). It is actually a fairly flat and accurate cab within its frequency range (37 Hz to 7 kHz), and has very good clarity/articulation (plus deep lows, which might be overkill, but don't "get in the way"). It's also fairly compact and quite easy to move around for a 2x15.

So, given that you like 2x15's and tube heads, if you can fit it, you may really like the NV215.

Tom.

10. Glockenklang Acoustic Art. Expensive, heavy, not efficient, etc. But it is the ultimate choice in acoustic amplification (if the rest of your gear is equally high-quality as well, of course).

Cheers,

Vincent

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anyone like EA CXL110's?

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Haven't heard a cxl-110, but I do like the cxl-112 quite a bit.

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Hartke XLs. I hate tweeters. Too harsh. These things give a full range without 'em. I run a 4x10 and 2 1x15 cabs driven by a GK800RB in BiAmped mode. The 2 15" cabs drop the amp's low side's ohms to 4, and the GK runs at its full 400 watts (100/300).

Sounds GREAT. Yes, the rig is taller than me.

The only thing that sounds better is driving all 3 cabs from my Traynor Bass Master. Yeah, I know it's something absurd like 2.6 ohms, and I'm baking the F@#$ outta the tubes, but it sounds fricken WONDERFUL.

Downside? HEAVY. The 4x10 alone weighs 88 pounds!

14. That is most certainly not a typical Upright Bass rig.

IME.

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Eek. My bad. Wrong forum. Linked off the "new posts" search, and didn't look up. Sorry folks.

That said, the GK/Hartke rig would still probably sound fabulous nonetheless...

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am not a big fan of the CXL110. It is light weight, but it sounds too colored in the mids without enough low end response. The VL110 however was an awesome cabinet!

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I used that very rig once as a rental on the road, and while it wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice for a DB rig, it was not that bad.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Really? I think of the CxL-110 as being amazingly heavy for its compact size. Not a problem, but something I note when I pick it up. Compared to an Epifani T-110UL, it's quite a shocker!

Tom.

19. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I have a lead on getting two CXL110's for $200. I love my bassman cab, but it's just too damn big + having to take an upright in the same car :scowl:

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow! Two CxL-110's for $200 is crazy good! They make pretty darn good monitors or small PA cabs, if for some reason you don't use them for bass. At that price it's a no lose.

Tom.