1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is your job?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by juancaminos, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Comparing MLB to bar bands is probably not a fair comparison. Maybe major league musicians are more aligned? Compare Alex Rodriguez to Paul McCartney?

Beyond that, it doesn’t all have to be so simplistic. I have never played in a band that actively promoted excess with alcohol, but obviously some patrons chose to drink more than I would advise. That’s up to them. And obviously the money I got paid ultimately came from the bar selling its product.

You get to know the regulars. One of the positive things you can do is look out for them when they do over consume. Make sure they get home ok, don’t get taken advantage of, and so on.

Perhaps you believe alcohol is evil, in which case of course you should not play bars. I drink, responsibly and in moderation. I don’t have a problem with others doing so.

The difference between making love and masturbation is that making love is done in such a way that other people can be involved. Obviously a bar is not the only option for sharing your music, but sitting in your bedroom playing to yourself is a solitary act.

2. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001

3. They don’t need to get wasted. A bigger crowd sells more drinks and meals. It’s a viable business plan to draw more people rather than pushing excess.

LBS-bass likes this.
  5. I leave the subject of excess to the individual. I have enough on my plate trying to tend to my own moral compass, I'm not going to try to tend to anyone else's.

Either way, it doesn't stop me from doing the job I was hired for at a public drinking establishment. I'm not there to monitor the alcohol intake of other adults. I'll let them (and the venue) decide what constitutes "excess," where their limits are, and how to deal with it.

BTW, "getting wasted" in and of itself is not a crime or even a sin. If finger-waggling and judging people who are intoxicated is in your nature, my advice would be don't perform in drinking establishments.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    @4001
    Promoting drinking, ordering food and partying in the audience and drinking to excess while performing are entirely different things. There is a hard line between entertainer and attendee.
    There is no need to imply that any professional level entertainer would sabotage their career like that by posting fail videos.
    You are clearly not ready to be a professional entertainer if this is what you think is happening at bar gigs.
    I don't think you understand the basic dynamic involved, forgive me if I am wrong.

Fredrik E. Nilsen and delta7fred like this.
  7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Not that I'm religious, or care either way morally, but for those who do...
    "Eat, drink and be merry" -Some numbered bible quotation

8. I CLEARLY understand the basic dynamic and I have performed "professionally".
    The basic dynamic:
    Play only music drunk people know and hope the club has you back depending on if you sold enough beer.

If you want to play bars all of your life.. go for it. Have fun.
    I hate drunks and bar band setlists.

Hey.. better hope this doesn't happen to your bar band...
    BMI Reminds Ohio Bar: Cover Songs Don’t Come for Free

Bassbeater likes this.
  9. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I mostly play originals actually. I hope I can play in some venue as long as my fingers and ears work.
    -Thanks!

LBS-bass likes this.
  10. No waggling fingers here. Like you, I believe others can make their own choices, and I leave it up to them. All I was saying was you can make a viable living in a bar band without pushing people to drink as much as possible. I’ve done it.

Bassbeater likes this.
  11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Is that supposed to be clever or acerbic?

It is neither. It is immature, banal, and stupid; and adds nothing to the thread other than communicating a basic disdain for your fellow bass playing brothers and sisters.

Further trolling will be correctly ignored.

12. "Real" musicians get a guaranteed contract for the show they will play and don't worry about how the club intends to sell their beer. They are asked back to the club because they sold enough tickets to the show regardless of the final till at the cash register. They DO work hard at their craft, which is music. The bar works hard at their craft. Selling beer.

13. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Feature!

bucephylus likes this.
  14. I agree. Idiots at bars cheering on someone puking onstage is stupid.

15. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I agree. I don't believe any of us think doing a lousy job is ever an option, though, so I agree unconditionally with your antipathy toward poor or indifferent performance, naturally. And I don't think it's the band's job to continually push drinking, explicitly-- although it's not uncommon to say "we're taking a short break and will be right back with more music, so take a minute to get a drink, talk to your friends, and we'll see you in a few" or something to that effect; full full-on alcohol pushing I don't do. A passing mention doesn't bother me to do occasionally.

Since a bar needs to sell drinks to stay in business, it IS the job to encourage that which pays both the bar and the musicians that play there. Playing well and being enjoyable and fun does that. While it's NICE to bring your crowd, almost by definition it's not possible to do that everywhere you go-- people who've heard you many times are not going to come to every gig, and if you're playing often like good musicians often are, you're not going to transfer your crowd from place to place on a nightly basis. Ergo, bands must play for people that haven't heard them at all or much-- i.e., people that the bar brings in or saw some bar promotion of the band and was intrigued-- and entertain them. That's the job.

Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.
  16. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    And what happens if you don't sell enough tickets?

No matter how you look at it you are a salesperson for the venue.

Fredrik E. Nilsen and Bassbeater like this.
  17. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I do a little traveling around the state, mainly for company meetings.

18. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I have just one observation about the entertainment business (and like it or not, musicians are a part of the industry)..alchol and drugs have been a part of it since the beginning of time. Many great musicians have become the slaves of excesses and it won't change. Entertainers should not have the responsibility for selling alchol or policing the customers behavior. That's why Managers hire attractive servers and capable bouncers.

Torrente Cro likes this.
  19. Hooray for you. Newsflash: The venue owner/management/employees were trying to sell beverages to pay the bills, and they were using your music to do it.

Where did "pushing people to drink as much as possible" come into the picture? Kind of an exaggeration IMO. I don't hear anyone suggesting that.

You hold no high ground here, not moral, intellectual, or otherwise. By supplying live music entertainment at a drinking establishment, you are helping to sell alcohol whether you want to admit it or not.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Fredrik E. Nilsen likes this.