1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is your job?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by juancaminos, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. That's really smart. We do a lot of that stuff too. It's called "value added service"

Bar owner has an agenda, and literally everyone he hires is expected to help him succeed. That includes the band. Alcohol isn't the whole picture, but it is a big part of the picture and arguably one of the owner's main products and offerings. It's the nature of the beast, and any bar vendor or employee who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    juancaminos likes this.
  2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Ultimately my purpose on stage is to be the best musician and entertainer I can be, but the bar owner is paying the band to sell alcohol, so the thing is this. Am I getting paid? Then my job is to sell alcohol. I don't have to like it, but that's the gig.

electracoyote likes this.
  3. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    IMG_0485.PNG To provide an experience that they will remember ... most are tourists and it may be their only trip to Memphis they're there for blues, BBQ and Beale st. We get people from all over the world and you want to give them a story to tell back home.

juancaminos and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    My job is to rock.

5. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    This is starting to sound like a company working on their "motto" or "mission statement " Lol! Your in good hands with...., at GE we bring good things. ...Have it your way...☺

juancaminos likes this.
  6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Crush people's souls.

7. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Make people want to be here!!

juancaminos likes this.
  8. Rock tf out.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Play music that people will like to listen or dance to.

10. This is my purpose too.

Old P Bass Guy likes this.
  11. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Scout for valuables, locate the safe, determine the way to gain entry to the business after hours without being detected or videotaped, break into the bar a few weeks later and loot the place.

juancaminos likes this.
  12. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Need a driver?

juancaminos likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you want to be a serious artists, that is fine, but it wont sell. Sorry, but that is true. It never has. My dad, who studied to be a symphony conductor and was a high school band director was a also performing musician from the 1930s through the 1950s, gave me insight into this early in my playing days. He said there are two kinds of musicians. Those who play really good music and those who play what the general population likes. If you are a musician's band, you will never make any money. The general population doesn't understand music. They like simple catchy tunes that don't take really listening. So you will play for other musicians mostly for free because musicians never have any money and will nurse one beer all night long.

If you play for the general population, you can make money playing pop tunes they want to hear. If you don't play what they want, you wont get hired back.

There is no wrong in striving for excellent music, but be realistic in your expectations.

juancaminos and EdO. like this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My job is to get dollars in the cash register. Club owners don't care about your music. They want two things from you:
    1. Get money in the cash register. Lotsa money = you're a great band. Notsomuchamoney = you suck.
    2. Behave yourself like a professional. That means:
    1. You show up on time
    2. Don't take extended breaks
    3. You don't have fights on stage
    4. You don't get drunk and cause problems
    5. You leave the stage area at least as clean as when you arrived.
    As to accepting drinks offered by patrons, the answer is always an unqualified Yes. First, it is your job (Put money in the cash register), and second, you would be surprised at how upset some people can become if you refuse a drink they offered.
    This doesn't mean you have to drink it, usually. I've let a lot of drinks sit on the table all night. The only time you pretty much have to drink it or at least have a sip is if they are toasting.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    No alcohol sales at my gigs. We occasionally have very small glasses of grape or cranberry juice and tiny pieces of bread - which we give away. My job is to be part of an experience for those in the seats.

16. Spot on, couldn't have been stated any better. To all the "Art For Art's Sake" players reading this thread - believe what you want about how fantastic musicianship sells itself despite all the other factors Gravedigger Dave stated above. Musicianship is certainly the hub it all circulates around and is of absolute importance/necessity of course. Without at least some fairly high level of musicianship/ability all else doesn't get you anywhere either. But if you believe that musicianship alone is going to keep you working at all but the upper levels of the music business (and mostly not even there - examples abound) you're deluding yourself. It's not about you and your musical ability alone, it's about ENTERTAINING an otherwise musically ignorant public. You wanna work a lot? Check your ego at the door and learn to entertain as well as you've learned to play. Or sit at home playing with yourself...