What is your most difficult challenge in playing bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Neil Folkard, Mar 5, 2020.

1. 2playbass

2playbass Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Can't tell you how much I relate to this whole story. My lack of theory holds me back from improvising fills and soloing, but it has helped my ear training tremendously.

2. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    speed, ear, improvisation, theory, pick playing, singing & playing, slap, guitar players, drummers, rehearsal volume, bandmate flakiness

Still absolutely love playing though.

3. Sparuto

Sparuto

Sep 12, 2018
    South Africa
    Letting it go when some song leader or band member tells you, you’re too loud or whenever there’s some sort of feedback the bassist is the first to be blamed. Guilty until proven innocent!

4. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Remembering stuff. I sub a lot, and play with a lot of different people and for the life of me I can't figure out how people just remember songs. I use notes and charts hidden away on my ipad. I'm trying, but jeez it's hard going.

roccobass and Russell L like this.
  5. Not hearing the same great sound of my bass in the FOH that i get from my rig !!!!!

Russell L likes this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    All true.

Soloing fast? I sometimes just throw some things out and deal with them uncritically. I try to be always looking ahead, er, ;-0 when I can. Repetion is your friend at speed, so are whole notes and rests, lol. I'd repeat all of that a minor 3rd higher...

project_c likes this.
  7. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Great jam tune. Yes, it’s detuned for sure because there was no 5 string bass on any of their albumns as far as I know.

Blueinred likes this.
  8. copacetic

copacetic

May 23, 2007
    The thing is the time is there. You have to make the time. Whatever level you are on you have to be serious and diligent about what you want to create and make that commitment.

9. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I find it challenging to stay relaxed during long sets. As the energy level rises so do the volumes and then you find yourself digging in more.
    I try to make a conscious effort to just turn up a bit and keep my hands relaxed. It's a funny thing but I've noticed that if my plucking hand plucks harder my fretting hand frets harder, if that makes any sense so I try to avoid all this tightening up and just stay loose and relaxed.

bbh and David Jayne like this.
  10. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Explaining that it is not a guitar nor a cello.

11. I've learned that if I turn my amp up about 10% louder that I think I need it forces me to play gently. Gary Willis trick. I met him once and asked about his amazing facility and how it looked so easy, with hardly any movement of his fingers. He said something like "let the amp do the work, man. Turn it up, play light."

Russell L and Samatza like this.
  12. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Hah! I had a girl I've know for a long time, lovely young lady truly. After that many years of coming to gigs she introduced me to a friend as 'the guitar player'. I said, 'you mean bass player', she says 'what's the difference'?

So I took the time to explain it to her and she said, 'OMG! I had no idea!'. So it took a little education to set the girl straight but she's totally worth it.

13. Davethebassguy

Davethebassguy

Jan 23, 2004
    Temecula, CA U.S.A.
    Artist for Bartolini, BTPA, Gruv Gear and Mission Engineering.
    Some remaining numbness in my fretting hand after neck surgery following a motorcycle accident.

14. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Thanks for the advice, I'll try that next time!

bbh likes this.
  15. Right hand techniques like slapping. I’m left handed and play right handed (parents bought my first bass and didn’t know there was such thing as left handed basses.) So It’s taken me a long to be even halfway decent at slapping but to be fair the trade off is certain things like switching to fretless might have actually been easier for me compared to people who play the right way because my dominant hand is on the neck.

16. Dreig

Dreig

Sep 25, 2019
    Okay there are a few things:

1. Playing by ear
    2. Improvisation
    3. How would I call it... quick and exact pressing on with pinky finger while trying to play Rancid songs (Matt Freeman plays like an animal, dang)
    4. Singing while playing
    5. Songwriting
    6. Trying to lose weight as not to take up so much space on stage

17. Burek

Burek

May 28, 2019
    I think it's fixing my mistakes and there are A LOT of them. Slowly, but surely... we'll get there.

18. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    This

2112 likes this.
  19. Believe me I am committed and the time isn’t always there. I am a bass junky and feel better with it in my hands. If I didn’t have obligations and responsibilities to attend to I would have a bass in my hands. But the first ten to fifteen years I covered a lot of ground and I am comfortable with my skill set.

20. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Time is the most important part of playing bass. ... If you don't have good time, forget about it, you'll never get anywhere on the instrument. ... And if you can't tell the difference in what good time is you're wasting yours. ... Where to place the note, how long or short to play that note is the most important and hardest to achieve. ... Remember music is a conversation if you struggle to converse with other instruments it's not because you're playing the wrong note or wrong style or wrong amp or have the wrong gear, it's because your time isn't together. ... If or when you get it together you'll know what I mean, till then keep working on it

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021