What Klon clone is on your board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FugaziBomb, Mar 6, 2020.

1. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I've been really getting into Klon Centaurs lately and am wondering what Klones TBers are using these days. Also, what do you all feel is the most faithful recreation of the original Centaur?

2. As much as I like it on guitar it just don't give me wood on bass, ymmv.

I have a tasty Klon clone built by a buddy in my studio collection and several saved in my SA cloud.

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Inactive

For a second, I thought I was accidentally at TGP.

OP, most bassists don't use a Klone of any kind.

RJ, IronLung1986, bbh and 2 others like this.
  4. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Interesting. I recently borrowed an EHX Soul Food from a friend and was running it through my stereo wet/dry setup and it sounded great in a mix. I was really feeling it in front of the TS9 I've got on my desk. I've read that the EHX is a sort of Centaur clone with a beefier drive section, but since I was only running drive at around 60 %, I'm thinking of looking for something a little closer to the original Centaur spec.

HolmeBass likes this.
  5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Rawkworks Light OD absolutely kills for bass. I have both versions, there’s a 3 knob (gain, treble, volume) and 4 (gain, treble, bass and volume)

Worth it 110% if you can find one.

I also have the Klon KTR, moderately meh for bass, but kills on guitar. Haven’t used it much for bass though.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    I like the Foxpedal Killface (with both clipping switches engaged) meowy much. Lotsa low end.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    catcauphonic likes this.
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Yeah I am pretty meh on the circuit for bass unless it’s so modded that it’s basically not a Klon anymore.

8. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    Klon KTR but only for guitar

9. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I'm surprised the Centaur circuit isn't more popular for bass. I really liked the transparency of it - that the character of the fret rattle was preserved, even augmented in a musical way.

On my stereo wet/dry setup, the dry signal is low passed at around 150 hz (basically only my sub firing) while the the effects signal is HPF'd at ~100 hz. Maybe this is part of the magic I'm experiencing with the Soul Food pedal right now. I don't know if I trust that the Soul Food is a true Centaur clone, though. I really want to get my hands on a Wampler Tumnus or a KTR and see what it is like. All this talk about Klons, and it might just be the tone of the Soul Food that I really dig.

PotsdamBass8 likes this.
  10. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I have the bass soul food on my bass board, and the regular one on my guitar board.

guitar one works great on bass for my ear. I don’t know what a centaur sounds like so I don’t truly know how it compares, and don’t care.

I think if they charged more for the soul food, it would be more highly regarded.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  11. I have the ehx bass soul food. People say it's a klon clone.

It's based off the ehx soul food (guitar model) and that's suppose to be a klon clone.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i never tried one but the wampler tumnus deluxe is probably pretty good with a bass. (it has treble, mid and bass controls).

13. For me, the beauty of Klones (never uses the real thing) is on guitar, where I have the pedal cranked and ride the instrument’s volume knob to vary the tone. The last few years I played guitar, I played it like driving a winding back road, and the volume was my gas pedal. On bass, my volume could be an on/off switch and work better.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  14. mikopita

mikopita Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Central Florida
    I’ve been using the Chellee Ponyboy for several years. I use it less as an overdrive and more like a sound sweetener. Along with my Cali 76, it’s one of the pedals I have with me for almost every gig.

Ponyboy Overdrive V3 - Chellee Guitars LLC

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Klones by and large cut the low end - quite a bit. When I had the "Klone" program loaded in my Aftershock, the amount of eq necessary to resurrect the low end was pretty silly. So, you need some way to deal with that if you're gonna use one.

16. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    bass soul food from EHX. bass version of their Klone. I really like it, hasn't come off my board and plays well with other dirt pedals. just saying, this bass player likes klons. and I even like using the bass soul food on my guitar board.

17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    From what I know the Tumnus and Kill face are nice..

FugaziBomb likes this.
  18. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I run a stereo bi amp rig, so i have a clean signal up to 150hz and then my effected side HPFs at around 100hz

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    On my HX stomp, I like the Klon patch if I’m using a crossover to keep the lows clean. I agree with everyone else, straight in cuts way too much bass. But it can sound good if you keep the lows intact.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What Klon clone is on your board?
    None.
    I avoid clones wherever possible but don't have an original Klon either.