1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Makes a Song Great: Limelight by Rush

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by P. Aaron, May 4, 2019.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Not being a Rush fan, I only know this song from radio play as I do Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, and a few others (names I can’t associate with the songs) over the many years Rush has cranked out top rock music.

Limelight is terrific because it’s a Get In rock it and Get Out type song. Most great songs are like this, and we appreciate their brevity and play them over & over.

Limelight fits this bill perfectly in lyrics and music. We can relate to both in the kick ass musical performances all-around and the lyrical meaning and we musicians enjoy solving the mysteries of...

“How do they do that?”

Rock Beato breaks this down for us in the handy-dandy video.

Beato also has a Kid Charlemagne video too. Very cool stuff.

2. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    His video of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic by The Police is also excellent.

P. Aaron likes this.
  3. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Was just going to start a thread on this vid, thanks for saving me the trouble! lol
    Love a lot of Rick's vids on songs, with the access he has to the multi-tracks. A lot of the songs he talks about I wouldn't normally pay any attention to, so it's good to learn about styles I'm really not into.
    Rush is interesting to me. Some of their songs I really can't get into, but some of them, especially the ones from Moving Pictures, I absolutely love.

P. Aaron likes this.
  4. Another great video from Rick Beato. I found his channel through an interview he did with Jeff Berlin and I have been an avid viewer ever since.

Rick's breakdown of this track really gives credit to the excellent playing of Alex Lifeson. His use of chords to add colour and harmony was always astounding to me.

5. Rick is a fantastic musician in his own right, if you watch enough of his channel. His enthusiasm as he breaks down these songs is infectious, he genuinely loves the music.

As for Rush, I can listen to these isolated tracks all day long. Some of the greatest details of these instrumental performances are easy to miss in the mix, in particular the chordal stuff that Alex Lifeson does; he is truly a great guitarist.

progmanjum and Joshua like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020