1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What model Tobias do I have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nobodysfool, Apr 27, 2010.

1. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    I'm trying to figure out what model Tobias bass I have...It's a 4 string, bolt-on neck, with 4 knobs: volume, pickup balance, bass and treble boost and cut. It's 9 volt active electronics, J-bass style pickups with the Tobias name on them.

I looked on the Tobias webpage, and could not find one that matches my configuration. I realize they may have changed over the years. I bought this one used back in 1996. I don't think it was more than a year or two old at that time. It came with a gig bag with the Tobias name on it.

I love this bass! It plays well, sounds fantastic, and has never failed me. I just want to know its pedigree....

Any ideas???

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Pics would help.

But it sounds like you have a Toby Pro. These were made overseas and are generally considered to be not very good. Kind of like a Squier is to Fender. But if you like it that's all that really matters.

3. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Not at home right now, so I don't have a good pic to post. As for "considered to be not very good", by what standard? Not taking offense, just looking at that assessment as somewhat undefined, and therefore, it doesn't really say much. No offense to you, as I'm sure you weren't meaning to be offensive. There just should be some framework in which to place that statement for it to have a meaningful impact.

4. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Pretty sure the Toby series weren't being produced yet in '96...

5. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Banned SUSPENDED Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Could of been a very early version. There also was a Japanese made version that was of better quality. I had a six string version of one of those around that time. Very good quality.

It would make it much easier to identify the bass.

Moonshine :bassist:

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    That is a Toby Deluxe, not a Toby Pro. I would look into your records and make sure it was '96 when you bought it though.

7. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I bought a Toby Tobias (might've been a Pro or Deluxe, I have no idea) in 1995 from musiciansfriend but it sounds similar.

And I'll say, it may not have been a great bass to somebody else, but it worked for me! I played about 200 gigs with it.

[​IMG]

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Sorry, what I meant is not very good compared to the american made Tobias basses that run a few thousand bucks. I've played a few Toby Pros, and while they aren't awful, they definitely fall short compared to the american version. But of course they cost much less.

No offense intended.

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The construction at least of the Toby Pro's (never played a Deluxe) were excellent. Where they fell short was the electronics. The Toby Pro I had was a looker....but it had a real wimpy preamp.

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, the Toby series came out in the mid-90's (http://www.gibson.com/products/tobias.html), and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them before '96.

Mike

11. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Cool, my bad...

12. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH

It was definitely 1996, I remember the sale, and the store, and the band I was playing I at the time.

13. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    here's a pic of the bass in question. The serial number indicates a Korea origin.

Attached Files: