1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What nickle round wound strings keeps fresh the longest?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JohnArnson, Jun 3, 2019.

1. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    I am curious to know if there is a specific brand of uncoated nickle round wound steel hexacore strings that keeps fresh longer and dies slower than others.

Currently I use Ernie Ball 45 - 105 Hybrid Slinky strings, so preferably it should be some that comes in the same gauges: 45 - 65 - 85 - 105.

All suggestions will be appreciated, if it is even possible to make strings that last longer than others when using the same basic construction and materials.

Also, would coated strings be worth it?

I've heard they feel different and are not quite as bright from the start, but on the other hand last considerably longer before they go dead.

Finally since my main is a 28,6" scale Ibanez Mirko bass I cut strings to size (actually I use standard strings meant for 34" scale basses for availability reasons), but never experienced that the strings would begin to unwind, lose tension or similar issues people claim comes with cutting strings, if you cut and secure them properly such issues can easily be avoided, but I guess this would completely ruin coated strings, am I right in that assumption?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    I like those strings when they’re fresh but they die quickly. Most strings I’ve tried outlast them. Sticking specifically with roundwound hex core I’d suggest trying Dunlop Super Brights, GHS Bassics, DR Low Riders and D’Addario XLs. The Dunlop Super Brights will have a nice flexible feel as will the GHS. The last two will increase tension a hair. All will outlast the EB strings.

I wasn’t a fan of coated strings so I’m not much help there. They feel and sound weird to me.

I realize you’re not looking this direction but I’ve found round core strings to last longer than hex. This has been true with DR Sunbeams, Fodera NPS and GHS Roundcore Boomers. All three of which are excellent.

JohnArnson likes this.
  3. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    There's a reason why I ask for hexacore strings in specific, since they have greater tension.

As mentioned I play a 26,8" scale Ibanez Mikro bass, so I need my strings to have relatively high tension for them not to feel sloppy, otherwise I would probably play 100's or even 95's strings instead, 105's seems to give a fitting amount of tension for the short scale of the Mikro though.

Guess that leaves me to either DR Low Riders or D'Addario Xl's.

I've used D'Addario before, but then decided to switch to Ernie Ball, honestly I haven't taken notice of their shorter lifetime, but I trust you are right, so maybe time for me to switch back.

Thanks for you response.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

D'Addario XL
    I used the balanced tension sets, 0.045" - 0.107"

oops, if you're using a Mikro your string selection is limited, and that's an understatement

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Hmm, the hex core produces greater stiffness, not too sure about the tension, though.

6. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Anyway I feel like the 105 gauge E string is already stretch for such a small fretboard, really heavy strings begins to sound weird at a certain point on a short scale, I need it though to get enough tension, gauge 105 does feel like perfect sufficient tension to me though, and I definitely wouldn't want to go even higher.

I just played with the D'Addario string tension calculator, and aimed to get an approximately balanced tension set based on the gauge 105 deep E string, so I am thinking of making my own set out of single strings next time I buy strings for my Mikro, making it look like this gauge wise: 45 - 60 - 80 - 105, using D'Addario strings.

It's not perfectly balanced, but close enough, and definitely a lot more even than the set I use now with the 65 and 85 gauge string pulling way more weight than the other strings.

On another note the strings Ibanez sells specifically for the Mikro are right out horrible, both feel and sound wise.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021