1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What PBass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davidchampoux, Aug 22, 2012.

1. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada

From James Bond 'For your eyes only', 1981.

Check at 1:20. Obviously a PBass, probably straight in the console via a passive DI.

That's the PBass sound I'm trying to achieve for many years... I own a lot of PBass, and I'm not at it yet... What's the secret? Strings? String gauge? What PBass model is this? I want THAT sound!

2. Sounds like slap funk with flats and the tone control turned down? Not really sure. You should wait for the masters to show up :D

Off topic, MISTAH BOND!!!!! ;D

3. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    I will! I want to learn from the masters! :)

Of course this is slap. But I feel a 'deepness' (or mid scoop) that I can't find on any of MY pbass... Might comes from flats, not sure though, or really big gauge?... Tone is not fully down to my ears... Maybe somewhere from 50 to 75%, and again, it depends on the cap/tone circuit.

That's a PBass tone I think that comes from the 70's basses most of the time...

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sounds like slap on flats to me, too.

5. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    More opinions?

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would say pop with flats...

7. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Ok then I'll try some flats... Any specific brand/gauge to get this particular tone? Does gauge really change the tone BTW?

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Yes, with flats gauge effects tone, but in a full band situation, you're likely not to hear the difference.

For flats, I prefer light gauge Chromes. They slap just fine, and you can get a super low action.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont

10. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    This definitely sounds like a synth to me!

11. panelectric

panelectric

Feb 4, 2010
    this will handle the 'mid' frequencies a bit better, and use some compression at the board.

12. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    +1 This.

13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I think you may be right (meaning about the Benson tune). Synth-bass was pretty new and pretty popular at the time. Still, what preset/effect is that? I'm hearing a similar edge on the Bond vid bass line. Thanks.

14. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Mr Champoux, If you want to try out a PBass with flats, it would be a pleasure for me to come with mine at your studio (I live near Quebec City), but I'm pretty sure that there is some enveloppe follower involved (like a Mu-Tron).

15. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Did try a set of LaBella flats on my 59 CS, and its not the that. It was closer with an 'old' set of rounds.

Any other suggestions? Could it be some Roto?

16. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    The more I liosten to it, the more I'm sure it is roundwounds with an enveloppe follower pedal (or a touch wah, it is the same, only the name is changed). You should try one like Electro harmonics BassBalls, Q-Tron, EBS IQ, Boss AW-3, MXR Enveloppe Filter, and so on...

17. davidchampoux

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks for the suggestion! Was this kind of filters commonly in use in the end 70's / early 80's ??

My feeling is that it comes from the bass itself.... But I might be wrong!

18. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    It those times, it might be the Mu-tron, it is a pedal filter with the cutoff frequency controlled by the volume of the instruents. All the pedals I listed does the same effect as the original Mu-Tron, but I dont know which one will give you the exact sound of the original one, but I'd give a try to the Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron which seems to share the same design.

Fore more info, you could check this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-tron
    http://www.mu-tron.com/index.html