1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What pedal should i get next?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unemploid, Dec 4, 2017.

1. This is what im currently using: ehx bass soul food, polytune mini, mxr bass fuzz, mxr bass chorus deluxe, mxr dc brick

I also own an mxr bass octave, crybaby bass wah mini, ampeg scr di.

I've been looking into compressors. From what i can tell, the mxr bass compressor is best at it's size, price and weight. Feel free to inform me otherwise.

What small power supplies are out their?

Thanks

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What pedal should i get next?
    Do you need anything else?
    If so; you'll know what that is.
    If you just want to buy something, wait until you see something that tricks you into thinking you need it.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Picking the “best” compressor for your needs can be tricky.

Smart selection of a compressor depends on knowing what you’re getting a compressor for. Although they all technically do the same thing, they can behave and sound very different depending on their design and control set.

What are looking for a compressor to do for you? And more importantly, do you even need one?

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  4. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    like what @40Hz said,
    I have had a very pleasant experience with my MXR M87 Bass Compressor. There's a good bit of control on that pedal to dial in just how you want the compression to work. Once I found the sweet spot for me, I set it and haven't touched the dials since. That said, I really only use it for slapping. In studio or rehearsal, I really don't "need" it. Playing live, my form denigrates a little over the evening, and I tend to start playing harder with a little less control after about the first 90-120 minutes. For that, this compressor works wonders keeping me in check. I don't use it for playing finger style ever.

Unemploid likes this.
  5. I'd like a compressor to add high end to get a finger style funk tone. Weight is more important to me than price and size.

6. Compressors don't "add" high end, they can only work with what frequencies already exist.

If you want to bring out the high end, consider an EQ pedal that you can cut some mids and lows.

Compressors that are light... hmm... My big ol' Cali is quite light for its size, and you can always mount another pedal on top of it...

Unemploid likes this.
  7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Based on your needs it seems like a compressor may compliment your pedals. The MXR Bass Comp is really useful (I have one and use it for hard-limiting at the end of my chain).

Another consideration would be a phaser to compliment your chorus/flanger pedal and along with your Octave and fuzz can add some funk or even synth like qualities to your set up.

If the MXR brick is working for you don’t fix it! If so a Voodoo Labs PP2+ will take care of all your pedals.

Don’t forget to post pics in the post your pedalboard thread!

Unemploid likes this.