1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Pickup is this at the Neck?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kath, Sep 25, 2010.

1. kath

kath

Apr 13, 2010
    Well i been looking at some pearl jam concert videos and found Jeff Ament's weird pickup after the Bartolini Neck J Pup .

Here is a picture :
    2irah03.jpg

What pickup is that? Its a bartolini for sure , but never seen one on their website that looks like that , neither it looks like a Bartolini MM Pickup , but it does look like those Bartolini Humbucking pickups for strats. As far as my knowledge goes , it does resemble like a EB-1 Pickup , maybe those Dark Star Hagstrom Pickups.

His tone is pretty neat with those . Does anyone know , what pickup are those?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Dimarzio model one

[​IMG]

3. What makes you so certain that it is a Bartolini?
    Did you read about it somewhere or something?

And yeah, looks like a Model 1 to me.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's a Model One.

5. kath

kath

Apr 13, 2010
    Here are additional pictures :

108g5s1.jpg
    adnuyq.gif

The pickup says bartolini , right? or my minds playing tricks on me xD

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Wow! I guess he had a model one on there and then had Bartolini make a custom replacement.

7. Ok, nevermind on the Model 1 then.

What are the 5 pots?
    Those look like passive basses, in which case, a VVVTT setup wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

8. kath

kath

Apr 13, 2010
    hmm , i am pretty sure its a passive bass. And i am beginning to think its either a Dark Star DS-3N or a Model One in a bartolini Casing. I don't think Bartolini makes those humbuckers

i think the whole setup would be dual parallel/series switching with "in phase" with that bartolini/ Model one humbucker (2 vol, 1 tone).

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Where would he get a Bartolini casing for a pickup that Bartolini doesn't make???

And why would he bother to do that?

He's a big star, and I'm sure he had Bartolini custom make that pickup.

Even you can get Bartolini to custom make a pickup, if you are patient.

Where's the switches? I see two stacked controls and a single control.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i would guess something silly like normal stacked-knob jazz bass wiring, then another volume knob for the mudbucker.

11. Yes, that is what I had assumed as well, but how useless with the tone interactions for three pickups instead of just two.

*Wild idea to ponder*

This is going to sound crazy, but perhaps maybe it's a VVVT setup with an additional master volume?

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Any chance the seperate knob is a rotary switch?

13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've read elsewhere that the Jazzes (at least one of them) started out a stack-knob Jazz replicas, so my guess would be that the stacked knobs are V/T for the two J pickups, and the single knob is a volume for the neck pickup.

14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    He has the same neck pickup on this custom Modulus Silvertone copy:

[​IMG]

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    OK I was wrong on the Model one. But those pictures there look like a Bartolini guitar pickup. Notice how the neck pickup is about 1/4" narrower than the jazz pickups.

16. kath

kath

Apr 13, 2010
    Found another picture , this was his "yellow" modulus from way back , during the 1998 Circa or so

6ok1mx.jpg

That does look like a Model One or a Gibson EB-1 Pickup at the extreme neck position.

@SGD : My bad , i overlooked the switches. There are none on the bass itself

I found this webpage which shows a bass modification involving 2 jazz pups and a humbucker .

http://www.jz63.com/bass/mods.html

17. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I would imagine it's a V, V/T, V/T setup.

18. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    No it's still the custom Bartolini. You can see the logo. Model 1s and EB-1 pickups have pole screws.

Easiest way to find out would be to contact Modulus or Bartolini.

I found another bass of his with the same three pickups.

Attached Files:

19. kath

kath

Apr 13, 2010
    E-mailed bartolini , they did not disclose any details . and modulus claims they only provide a "custom neck" for jeff's basses and also said the headstock of the modulus neck was according to his specifications ( his basses have fender jazz style headstock not the original genesis headstock ) , they also say the bass body and and the electronics was set up by Mike Lull . However i was browsing through the SGD luthiere website and found this

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/SW4-HB.html

its probably the same dimension of the Pup at the extreme neck position in jeff's modulus . and woah the SGD sidewinder SW4-HB , has a fat and meaty tone.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I still think it is a Bart Guitar humbucker.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021