1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What preamp is this? Previously modded Fender

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hendricks97, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    I just picked up a Fender Mexican Jazz 2003 and I was under the impression that they were passive, but the controls seemed weird. I opened up the cavity and found a preamp with an extra pot (for a total of 4) that was hidden under the cover. Theres a small black box that says nothing on it. Is there anyway to tell what preamp this is?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Hard to say... Two suggestions:
    1. post a few photos of what you got there, from a couple angles, and with as much detail as possible
    2. change the title to reflect what your question is
    Chances are someone will recognize it...

3. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
  4. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    So they did a really shotty job with the routing to create more room in the cavity so that's one thing I'm gong to have to clean up. I'm debating whether the preamp that was added is worth trying to find a work around to get the other knob out from under the control plate

5. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    So I asked a few Jazz bass pages on FB and came up with an answer. It is called a Tone Monster and its a $45.00 chinese unit. Now I have to figure out if I should go back to the straight wiring or go with a new preamp. Eventually I would like to turn this into a Marcus Miller sounding bass, but dont want to jump into that big of a financial commitment immediately