1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by qcbassman, Mar 10, 2013.

1. qcbassman

qcbassman

Jan 12, 2013
    USA
    Hi all! I am very new to the bass but have fallen in love. I have a dilemma. I bought a Squier VM Jag Special for $160. Had a friend who is very experienced look at it and he liked it, but told me the neck was twisted. I spoke with the store I bought it from and they very kindly agreed to swap it for a warranty replacement. Set up is good, concurrent amount of relief on both sides of neck, good string height, intonation, etc. Only problem is on the D string somewhere around fret 17 I have terrible buzz, only that fret, only that string. I've read all the possibilities about causes and fixes. I don't feel comfortable trying a DYI fix. Here's my question (took long enough to get to): Do I get it fixed ( could be costly), should I be "that guy" who is still not happy and go back and ask the store to take care of it, or, do I suck it up and realize that it's a $200 bass and be happy that's all that's wrong with it? Maybe in a couple of years I will upgrade to something higher end or even boutique...

I am interested in jazz, funk, rock, but in all reality may only ever use this instrument to play praise and worship music. Is it foreseeable that I will spend a lot of time in that area of the neck?

I hope I posted this in the right place. Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If you just bought it from the store, be that guy and bring it back to get it repaired/fixed or whatever they need to do. You just paid money for a product that should be in good, actually almost perfect working order. If you don't take it back and ask them to do what they need to do to it, you'll regret it. And take it back ASAP too. Don't wait. Unless the thing was used, sorry I didn't notice if you said that or not, they should still help you out and repair it.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    No be "that" guy and get your money's worth

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    The store has already agreed to replace the neck. What's the problem?

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

You Can't expect a budget bass to play perfectly without at least a proper setup. It's likely that another replacement will have another small issue somewhere on the neck that without a setup would be bothersome. I'd leave it, learn to play first and learn more about setting up a bass. You won't be up there at 17 much in the beginning. Once you are sure you want to continue, take it to an experienced luthier and get a fret level done. Or get a level now if you want to go ahead and spend a bit of money. If its just the one fret it won't cost much. You can also raise the string until it stops and if the action isn't too high, you can get by until you learn a bit more.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Really?? He JUST bought it. I'd think he want a proper instrument for his first, not a project. I could wanting to work on it to learn more about mechanics but again, on his first instrument right from the get go?

7. 96tbird

Yes really. It's a two hundred dollar bass. Be realistic. One buzzing fret is not a catastrophe. It takes more cash than that to guarantee perfection. As I said at that price point he could keep trading them in for replacements and never get perfection. Besides I'm not taking a swap off the table I'm saying he may get another and find another issue with it. Entry level is entry level. I am owner of 4 Squiers and each needed minor touch ups (nut touch up , setup, and a high fret or two) to set them right.

I have been playing and setting up my basses since 1977. I had to learn the skills to make them play right from one book and trial and error. One fret is minor for a beginner. If he likes the bass and continues playing after a few months he can drop a bit of cash to get it tended to. Shoot I just bought a brand new Ampeg cab from a guy that decided to quit learning bass after only a one hour attempt: saved 35%. Just saying the OP can see how his bass career plays out.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Yep. You get what you pay for. And a good fret levelling is going to cost as much as that bass. So why would you expect to buy a perfect bass for what is would cost to level the frets?

9. qcbassman

qcbassman

Jan 12, 2013
    USA
    Not expecting a perfect bass and I can deal with a little fret buzz but this is causing 17 and 18 to play the same pitch. I think I am going to be that guy and see if Fender will cover fixing it as a warranty repair. Thanks for all the info everyone!

10. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    No harm in taking it back and showing it to them. Worst thing that happens is they say they won't do anything, then you can buy a dead-blow hammer and give that high fret a whack! :)

11. 96tbird

If they will fix the one you have that's good. The fact remains, at that price point it's unlikely a REPLACEMENT will be 100% either. Very unlikely. If it isn't one high fret it might be a badly cut nut, etc. still, it's definitely ok to "be that guy". Squeaky wheel gets the grease :)

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That makes perfect sense tbird. I wasn't trying to argue. I just thought if he buys from a store, it should be in good working order. Which, for the most part it is. Just the one or two frets.