1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What song can you just not play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by msaone, Oct 10, 2013.

1. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Just curious what song you've given up on? You've worked and worked and it just won't come.

For me it's one of our bands originals. Very fast riff at the end of the neck on all four strings.

We're still doing the song but I just can't get this riff.

2. I almost gave up on Squeeze by Robert Randolph. I guess I kind of did three or four months ago. The right hand endurance you need for that song is something wicked. I've come back to it though, and I'm so much better at it now. :D

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Show me the Way by Peter Frampton. I can get through it but I've yet to not make a minor mistake at the last 5 shows.

4. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    Yes, I too can muddle through but even as I sit here tonight (1.5yrs) after learning the rest of the song, that riff is still a slop fest.

Never never stop.

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Probably loads. But there has yet to be a song i actually WANTED to play that I couldn't. Then again, i have relatively low tolerance for neck wanking and slappity slap fests.

6. Lots and Lots of them.

7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I sang and played this ditty when it originally came out, six nights a week. Mindlessness is the key. ;)

However, I have recording of my Yes cover band from the early '70s and I'm still amazed that I could sing and play Chris Squire's parts. Don't know if I could do that now. In my Holiday Inn band days, we played 5 sets, 6 nights. Everything became so ingrained that I didn't have to think about much.

8. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    I don't know why...it's probably not that tough, but I just can't get the handle on "Out on the Tiles" by Zeppelin...not the whole song, just a particular riff.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's mostly jazz tunes that trip me up. Most rock and pop tunes I have no trouble with, but some of that jazz stuff is really out there and far beyond what my little fingers can do.

10. Just the ones I try to play.

11. Try visualizing yourself playing it, nailing it effortlessly. Think of how would you move your hands, imagine the sound it will do, etc. Then start practicing the riff VERY slowly, with a metronome. Play it over until you can play it perfectly and don't have to think about it, then bump up the tempo a bit. Repeat until it's fast enough.

12. spazman

spazman

Sep 29, 2013
    Trying to play Paul Chambers' bass lines is tough. I don't cover songs note-for-note (mostly because I don't play with folks who care), but when I need to, I usually can, with some practice as Euka suggests. I have yet to try to play Jaco's Donna Lee past the first two bars.

13. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    I had a sit in gig and the drummer started calling out some Weather Report Jaco stuff. Said 'oh yeah, it's not too hard.' Yeah, for the drummer......:scowl:

14. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Frikkin YYZ.

15. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Going back to the late 80's/early 90's I was into neo classical metal - Yngwie and the like. The band I was in played mostly originals, but we did so covers. One of the covers was an Yngwie song called Krakatoa. It is a truly difficult song- very fast runs doubling the guitars (yngwie played the bass on it, and it shows- like him or not the man is a technical monster). I worked and worked at it, and at times could play it if I was absolutely playing at peak capacity. It really drive me nuts, and probably was one of the leading causes of me obsessing with flat out speed, which lead to me developing tendonitis in my left wrist/forearm.

If I had been smart I would have just admitted to myself that it was just a bit beyond what I could do, and just told the guys in the band that I cannot do it. It would have saved me a bunch of discomfort and down time recuperating (think not being able to play for about a year), and then for another year or so only being able to play for 20-30 minutes. Ok now though.

16. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    Siberian Khatru by Yes.

I still mess around with it, after all these years, but I'll never really nail it. :bawl:

Still fun to try, though.

17. MountainTop

MountainTop

Apr 5, 2013
    Any Van Halen song simply out of pure dislike.

18. Yes. Bebop kills me. Super fast and a lot of the fingering is just not natural on a stringed instrument tuned in 4ths.

19. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    i wont say i cant play it, i just cant play it with the same exact feel and groove lenny plays it. the bassline to "it aint over 'till its over" by lenny kravitz. for myself, its one of those songs that note wise is simple, but groove wise is elusive. i have seen tons of videos of people covering that song and no one can ever fully replicate that groove. its very nuanced.

20. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    It's funny, I've played Rush tunes live and other technically difficult songs, but I swear Mumford and Sons' songs destroy me for some reason. The form is just really weird for some reason. I'm always going to the damn wrong chord :rollno: