1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings did Cliff Burton use???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by metallibass95, Apr 9, 2009.

1. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Does anybody out there know what strings Cliff Burton used? I used to use Ernie Ball nickels and got curious as to what strings he used. From all the strings I have tried at first I got close to his sound with a set of DR Sunbeams because of the low end growl and the smoothness on the highs. But then I heard rumors that Cliff used heavy Rotosound strings. So I got the heaviest set of Rotosound steel strings I could and the sound was almost exact to his. But not sure if he used steel, nickel, and i'm not even 100% sure what brand he actually did use. Does anybody out there know exactly what he used?

2. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    If the heavy rotosounds sound good then I would use them

3. as far as i know he used the same strings you have.you do have the 66's right?

4. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Yea its RS66LE, its the biggest round wound strings you can get from Rotosound. But the main thing is that I just heard heavy Rotosound strings, so I looked for the heaviest round wounds I could find and bought them, not knowing that Rotosound also made nickel strings, I thought Rotosound only did steel roundwounds, so all this time I thought Cliff Burton used steel strings but he may use nickel, I honestly don't know exactly what he uses.

5. bass strings

6. i'm positive he used the ones you have.i'm pretty sure he didn't use the nickel ones or anything like that.i looked around on a few different sites and they didn't say anything,but i do remember looking a while back somewhere,and they said he used the 66LE's.

7. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    sweet...thanks man.

8. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Rotosound Roundwound. The man himself says it here around 4:30:

9. Hard to believe he has been gone for so long.

10. Out of curiosity, what makes you believe that he was using nickel? That photo is pretty grainy IMO...:meh:

11. whatever he used.. i feel sorry for them, because he beat the hell out of them.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Like so many other similar threads, it could break some hearts if it was discovered he used different ones at different times ; }

13. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

yea? but what if he didn't?

14. I've been playing bass for quite a few years now and would consider myself "experienced". ;) To me, the picture is too grainy to be making such an assumption, but I could always be wrong. Of course, it doesn't help that I never pay much attention to strings aside from feel and silk wrappings. YMMV.

15. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    What strings came on the bass?

16. Well, sorry to zombie this but it appears he used ultra-light strings! So, there's me, learning all those big bends on medium/heavy gauge strings, and he was 'cheating' haha.

17. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Yeah, my wrists and shoulders love cheating