Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what strings do you pedulla thunderbass players use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ryla, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ryla

ryla

Jun 17, 2004
    auckland new zealand
    I play finger style only on my thunderbass and cant decide what is best for this kind of axe. Ive tried ghs progressives, Rotosound swingbass, ken smiths and pedulla strings, what do you think is best? Using GK 400rb and still undecided about a cab, - swr?, cheers from New Zealand, - ryla.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I always liked the Pedulla strings on mine. I think I also tried Smith Rock Masters and went back to the pedullas.

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    When I owned one I finally settled on Ken Smiths. I tried several brands, but for some reason that bass was very unforgiving when a string would even slightly begin to lose it's edge. That was one of the reasons I sold it. I regretted getting rid of that the second it left my hands. Damn!! Also at the time I had a 400RB that ran one or two (depending on the situation) Eden 2X10 XLT's. It was a KILLER combination in my opinion!

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats funny I ran mine through a D-210XLT and also regretting selling it about 10 minutes after I shipped it off. :scowl:

5. Trying to bring this thread to life again, cuz I'm getting a thunderbass et5 very soon. I'm thinking I'd go with Pedulla strings. I figure they are designed for Pedulla basses.

Anyone over the years since this thread was originally posted find a great set of strings for the thunderbass?

6. wsomar

wsomar

May 25, 2011
    Indiana
    At the risk of necro-posting ...

The saddle of the Thunderbass is very (very) narrow. (It uses little "pulleys" mounted on a thread.) You must use tapered strings - "fat" strings will jump the saddle.

This very quickly narrows down your string options. They are also hard to find locally. I live in a major metro area that has the two large music retailers (SA & GC) and tapered string offerings are slim to none.

The Pedulla strings work fine so I just use those. They come in various gauges.

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I realize this thread is a few years old now but I just found it and others will too. I like Pedulla stainless. Runner up would go to DR Hi Beams. .125 B string works fine on the saddles.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    I've been using Ernie Ball cobalts and love how aggressive they are. My second choice would be roto ss rounds.