1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Tele-PJ bass is this? (Tortoise Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rnilson, Oct 18, 2010.

1. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    One of the guys from Tortoise is playing a killer Tele PJ bass in this video. I think it sounds and looks cool, but I have no idea what it is. Can anyone ID it for me.

Video Here:

It is a long video but at 16:41 you get a good look at the bass I am talking about.

There are two guys who play bass at different times in the video. It is tele PJ that I am wondering about not the p-bass.

2. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    No one is willing to take a shot at this?

I know it is a pain to have to fast forward through the video.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Huge bassplayer deficit in the footage. Looks like a Precision w/a Jazz pup in it. Year? Who knows.

Cool music...I like the Jazzmaster guitar sound too. I had one on loan from a friend a few yeaqrs back. It had character and tone unlike any other guitar I ever played.

4. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    No, there is a guy playing P bass in some parts of the video, but at the 16:41 point it is a tele neck for sure. It has the split p and bridge j pick up in it. Perhaps it is an old fender tele bass with mods?

5. +1 maybe EMG's

6. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Modded Tele / 51 P for sure... looks awesome... Love that song they are playing at the 16:41 mark, TNT is one of my all time favorite albums.

7. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    yes it is freaking awesome.

8. Looks very cool - I may have to make me one of those!!! :)

9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA

Some more good views.

10. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    First, looks like a Telecaster bass modded with the J pickup and tort pickguard. Probably from the early 1970s.

As for the music, sorry guys, but I don't really get this jazzy, improvy stuff. Sounds like crap in my ears. So does Weather Report, a lot of Stanley Clark, and the like. I've really tried to "get" Jonas Helborg, but basically to me its all just one nightmare of Bitches Brew...

11. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh yeah that is a sexy bass...
    Actually Most of Tortoise is very well composed with no improvising, but you still don't have to like it.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I'm glad to know your opinion, but it really wasn't needed in this thread. If we're going to go on the subject, I find jazz/fusion/improv to be the best type of music. It is the true expression of a musician through his instrument. But hey, that's just my opinion.

;)

13. Fender custom shop ca 1991/2 or so came out around the same time as the ’51 reissue.
    It came with a tortoise and a single layer black pick guard.
    I played one and the reissue, both were great, but the ’51 reissue was more than a grand less so I bought it.

MM

14. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Hmmm.... Very interesting.
    I was thinking of getting a MIM Mike Dirnt Tele P bass and having it modded with a j bridge pickup. I don't have the cash for a fender custom shop job.

Please don't make this a I like/hate fusion thread. It is not necessary.

15. When did Tele basses ever come with split coil pickups? I've only ever seen the single coils, from 68 to around 72, and then the humbuckers, from 72 on...

16. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    The Mike Dirnt P-Bass is supposed to a copy of his '51 p-bass.
    It has a split p-pick up.