1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What the &$@# is this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riley R, Aug 2, 2007.

1. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I've seen that bass listed quite a few times on eBay. Seems as though someone's stepped in with a BIN offer, and got it for $2300.

I don't care how rare it is, I wouldn't thank you for it!

2. radii

radii

Feb 16, 2007
    I absolutely agree.

I got all my "early" knowledge about instrument construction from reading reviews in german guitar magazines. It seems that all the reviewers had an intimate knowledge of how a guitar/bass was made and what contibuted what part to a good sounding instrument. Yet all of them were players it seems, not builders :eyebrow:
    According to them, the low B's got better over time as luthiers would build instruments better suited for low B's, the pickups were made specifically for 5-strings, the hardware got better, the strings were improved etc.
    I don't know much, if anything, about what affects tone and quality in a guitar string, so I'll give them that point. It might very well be, that string makers learned to make a better B string.
    The remaining parts of the equation however are, in my humble "armchair engineer " opinion, absolutely debateable.
    Anybody that TRULLY knows what makes a killer low B, please, please let me know ...:smug:

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Trouble with reviewers is they're paid by magazines that receive a large chunk of their funding through paid advertisements.