1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What the &$@# is this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riley R, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
  2. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    i like it. if i had the money i would buy it in a heartbeat.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    :eek: Not sure if I like it or not? Sure don't like the way the strings go to the tuners though.

4. I just threw up in my mouth a little...

5. These were interesting basses, although a lot of them suffered from warping and twisting. Back in the day, headless necks were graphite, aluminum, or Kubicki's ultra laminated quartersawn maple for a reason!

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    That is an authentic Warwick. I remember that he started making Steinberger looking instruments before he stepped into his signature style. I wouldn't pay $4000 for it...but it would be a pretty cool collector's piece.

7. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Whats up with the stand? is it played upright?

8. There weren't many available stands that would hold it.

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    So, it looks like before Warwick copied Spector's NS2 design (that'd be Ned Steinberger for those of you just tuning into our show) they copied another of good old Ned's designs.....

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    This would have been a really classy looking bass with a proper headless bridge on it.

And what would that reason be? There are plenty of maple NT Steinberger clones from that era with no neck issues (I own two).

11. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Wow and too think there was a fretless up here that was about $900..

12. Ugly with a capital U.

13. John Entwistle had one of these in his book Bass Culture.

He was once stopped in an airport with security officers thinking he was bringing a wooden machine gun on board.

14. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    this is something that any truw Warwick fan and enthusiest (sp) would love to get thier hands on. I know that i would love to own that lil gem. I really wish i had the scratch

15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ

He played it on the Govt Mule 'Deep End' CD. He is playing it in the studio on the 'Rising Low' DVD

16. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    in the issue of BP mag that they outlined the Deep End sessions it has a picture of him playing it.

17. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

A local guy I know has one and played it as his main bass, up until a few years ago. I sat in one time at a gig and played a set with it.

Interesting piece, but I thought it played like a$$.

If I were a Warwick guy, I'd own one or at least try to. But I wouldn't pay that kinda dough for it. Ever.

dcr

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Ignore the look for a second and think about the history behind that axe. That model was the 1st modern axe that Warwick/Framus marketed, and if you look closely, you can see many of the things that they innovated or became famous for. Wenge for instance, was 1st used here. As well as the bell brass frets. Looks wise, I don't like it either. But "glimpse of the future" wise, I'd say it's beautiful.

19. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

So true!

dcr

20. I would have to agree... But it's tough getting past the look.

...You are right though. :)