1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of paint to use

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TMCchristian, Jul 31, 2012.

1. TMCchristian

TMCchristian

Jul 31, 2012
    Hey guys. I'm in the middle of a bass modification project. I'm halted right now because I have a question that I just cannot for the life of me find the answer to. I'm going to be painting the neck of my bass a glossy black to match the rest of it, because the unfinished maple sticks out like a sore thumb and its just something I wanna do. Well my problem is that I have no clue what kind of paint to use.
    I've been looking around all over google and different forums and can't find anything on what type of paint to use. All it had was a very light satin finish to protect the wood, which I have thoroughly sanded down. It is now raw smooth wood, but I don't want to continue until I surely have the right kind of paint to prevent messing it up.
    So could anyone on here tell me what kind of paint to use? Would regular spray paint work, or is it something different? Brand/type would be very much appreciated.
    Also, I'm sure many people have asked this before, but I can't find the answer, so I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

Cheers, TMCchristian

2. First - there is no such thing as 'regular spray paint'.

It's all a giant mystery and who knows what batch will work with another, even in the same label? I don't know and I've painted a lot of cars, planes, trucks, Bobcats, earth movers and yes - even guitars and I won't hazard a guess what's in a spray can.

3. TMCchristian

TMCchristian

Jul 31, 2012
    We learn something new each day. Well is there a certain kind you would suggest for a guitar? Maple in particular

4. Yes - a two or three part polyurethane mixed by an automotive paint shop. Of course you'll have to purchase a compressor, an HVLP gun and perhaps a small touch up gun like a Devilbiss or Sharp for the fine work.

Painting that looks decent needs a professional hand to get it right.

You can invest in a cheaper method and buy the outrageously-high-priced-for-minimal-product stuff from Stewart McDonald. It works and is in a can - so it could meet your requirements.

There are some logistical support products you'll need, but they'll become obvious once you start into the job.