What would a beefier Jazz Bass be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boneless, Aug 18, 2022.

1. I've always been very ambivalent regarding Jazz Basses. I don't like them, they feel thin, I only kind of like both pickups open all the way, and still I think it's a bit thin, I don't like the bridge pickup soloed or preponderant, the neck pickup lacks the heft of a Precision.

Still, I've found myself needing a full-on Jazz Bass-like sound sometimes, especially played with a pick. The alternatives:

- PJ combination. It sort of works but you tend to have quite a difference between the lower and the upper strings.
    - double split. Very nice, very aggressive, looks a bit crap.
    - double humbuckers. They don't have the pick attack you get with a Jazz Bass and they tend to sound more throaty. When it's modern sounding humbuckers, they tend to sound a bit too "hifi" in my experience.
    - Stingray. It can play that kind of role (bright, tight) but it's overly mid-heavy and a bit too grindy, even boosting the bass or cutting the mids.
    - jazz + humbucker (the other way round basically doesn't exist), this seems like the most viable solution, and in fact I had a look at an Ibanez ATK800 (I think) which sort of does the kind of stuff I need.

Any other ideas? And any offerings in the €500-ish range?

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Might just be a matter of finding the right set of pickups for a standard J bass.

3. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Have you looked into any other pickups? Lollar, Fralins, Ultra Jazz.

Bogun, Element Zero, detoxxx and 2 others like this.
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have found a pre amp pedal works well. I use a 80's DOD bi-fet pre amp to beef up any of my wimpy basses, works great.

5. ShawnG

ShawnG Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I describe the tone of my EBMM Caprice as that of a “fuller” Jazz bass, with both pickups on full. The secret sauce is the humbucker at the bridge (vs a standard Jazz pickup) and its better balance with the neck pickup, IMO.
    @Chicken Wing has a lot more experience with the Caprice than I do and has a nice Jazz to compare it too. Maybe he can add something.
    Unfortunately, it won’t be in the €500 range, but you might be able to mod/build something similar.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the Epiphone Thunderbird Std. IV does that for me, even more so is their Explorer.
    I never go there but noticed it when test driving during the honeymoon. quite nice.

7. How about a simple palallel-series switch on a Jazz? That way you have options for both the traditional J-bass sound and the "beefed up" J-bass.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    DiMarzio Model J - beefy!

9. Crispus

Crispus Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2020
    L-2000

10. Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Mar 26, 2017
    Earth
    What up Shawn! Caprice = more beef but maybe just a little bit less clarity than the Jazz single coils. I didn't read the thread tho

11. arepa_funk

arepa_funk Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2020
    I agree with comment above re preamp. My MIM J has relatively weak output, so I've got a boost/preamp (Xotic RC) first in line after the tuner. Round, full, warm, beefy. Imo, ymmv, etc.

6-3-2 and godofthunder59 like this.
  12. DanTheMan2112

DanTheMan2112 Formerly known as dannnnn Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Try it in series mode.

13. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    DiMarzio DP123 pickups add all the red meat to a jazz bass tone

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Find a Fender Roscoe Beck model

15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I could be wrong but I think the Model J I mentioned and the DP 123 are the same pickup. And yes, beefy!

16. OnTheDownLow

OnTheDownLow Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2020
    This might be an easy solution for you. Some love it and some don't, if you don't like it then it's an easily reversible mod.

ChemDave, M.R. Ogle, andruca and 3 others like this.
  17. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird do that for me. I even sell my Jazz Bass (Sire V7 actually) after a year with my Epi

Mickey666 and Engle like this.
  18. PrimitiveMan

PrimitiveMan Gold Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd try one of the Ibanez SR with Nordstrand Big Singles.

19. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jazz bass with the pickups wired in series instead of parallel.

Run your jazz bass through a preamp pedal.

Install a preamp in your jazz bass.

It seems like you like a double split pickup arrangement. Install some split coil jazz bass pickups (many to choose from).

20. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    What would a beefier Jazz Bass be?
    A Sadowsky. :roflmao:

Fuzzbass, EagleMoon, leonard and 6 others like this.