1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would you do? Guitar Center Tech messed up?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bongostealth, Aug 10, 2017.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    So I wanted to swap the Bart preamp in my Roscoe bass for an Aguilar and install two 3-way switches for coil-tapping on the pickups. I've done this numerous times but this time I did not feel like doing it. So I decided to take it to GC to have them do it. It's been over two weeks and the install is not finished (I dropped it off on 7/25/17). However, bear in mind that I MYSELF wired the preamp, so that they wouldn't have to do it. Besides, wiring it up is fun for me. Anyways, today I get a call from the tech performing the install that he accidentally drilled a hole too big for one of the switches. Attached are the pictures of the proposed solution. I don't know how I feel about it.

What would you do?

IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    wow!

i never trust gc techs to do anything that i cannit sit and watch them do for this gery reason. there are some skilled techs at some gc's, but they are the exception, not the rule.

i like to ask them questions about how they do stuff to see if they know what tbey are talking about before i will let themwirk on anything, too. i often find they act knowledgeable, but are not actually kniwledgeable.

Bob Lee (QSC) and bongostealth like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    wow :eek:

well I would never trust that tech, and likely not that shop, ever again.

salcott and bongostealth like this.
  4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That is not a solution. Not even remotely.

5. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Would you ask for a discount on the price of the install?? I don't know what else I would do...

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A discount? No, I would not be paying for that install at all. Furthermore, I would expect GC to pay for a QUALIFIED luthier to try to fix that.

MonetBass, Marikk, RSBBass and 9 others like this.
  7. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    yeah, i think i may even go so far as to ask them to buy
    y the bass from you for a decent market price, that is a serious marr on a beautiful top and greatly devalues the instrument.

8. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    talk to the store manager about GC paying for a professional to repair and refinish that area. take the issue up the chain of command untill you get satisfaction. be firm but polite.

this might take a while

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    That is F'd up beyond all belief! No, you don't owe them *anything*, they owe YOU! Start a journal of your calls and emails, take names & employee #s.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This. Definitely.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    They need to restore or replace that bass, that's a hack job. Cut them Zero slack. Their tech works for a national franchise, They can afford it.

12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Don't pay them, contact the press and sue them!

96tbird, JLS and bongostealth like this.
  13. Make it clear you're angry, but don't use curse words or raise your voice too much. Don't give them a reason to throw you out.
    Speak to the manager, don't even talk to that "tech" except to get your gear away from him, as fast as you can!

Demand a resolution from the manager!

JLS, RSBBass, tzohn and 2 others like this.
  14. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    I would fix it myself.

bongostealth and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    another reason to stay out of GC

bongostealth likes this.
  16. I think I would need to take a Valium or something before I could visit that store w/o wanting to physically harm that knob who drilled that gigantic hole in there!

17. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

T
    what did he use for a drill? Ovoid holes in both cases. Dull bit ? Used a rusty screwdriver and a hammer?
    That is definitely a "you broke it You bought it" situation.

18. They screwed up, but ask nicely for them to make it right ~ to your satisfaction ~ before you go nuclear on them.

You never know; they may just do the right thing.

If that fails, then fish for more drastic ideas.

tpa and bongostealth like this.
  19. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

You mean after I stroked out!

Nope, Nada, Zip, someone owes you another bass.

I'd start there, but I'd settle for a proper repair but not from them!

It would appear they drilled the hole without backing up the finish side, hence, the large chunk of finish missing. Guessing he passed on a pilot hole and successively large drills too.

That's not a solution.

We call them "idiot plates" for a reason.

GC apparently did not exhibit "due diligence" when researching this man's credentials to assure his competency.

Granted, I'm just basing it on how it appears he botched this.

bongostealth and Killed_by_Death like this.
  20. Be sure to leave your feedback, whichever way this goes:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/store-feedback

Lately I've been visiting that page too damn often, thanks to screw-ups on behalf of the GC staff.
    Last week they literally lied to me about a missing vibrato arm being shipped.

The week prior to that they cost me hella-time at one store, because the joker entering my order for a trade-in set the delivery to their store, which is 90 miles from my home!
    I should have just left it & drove back to the store to get the guitar & maybe they'd have given me a vibrato arm from the store.

Instead I had them cancel the order & start over, & due to some quirks in their system I now have no official GC order number. This makes it difficult to deal with them, and I've had to contact them several times over the order!

bongostealth likes this.