What would you do? (Reverb purchase shipping woes)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jimmy rocket, May 2, 2019.

1. Tell him to stuff it - he should have done his homework

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Cough up the $30 and call it a day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Go Dutch and split the difference.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I am flummoxed.

A few days ago I put in an offer on an inexpensive bass on Reverb. I intended to use the bass as a sort of backup/practice bass that I could keep in my office. The listing quoted $30 as a shipping price. The offer was accepted and a few days later I got a message from the seller saying he had been to FedEx and they wanted $140 so he was looking for other options.

At that point I wrote back to say I had been down that road, one time feeling like I had practically given a bass away after shipping it. I also clearly said that if shipping was going to be more expensive, I didn't mind if he cancelled the order and refunded my money. No hurt feelings.

Last night I got a message that he had shipped the bass at another FedEx and the total (after buying shipping supplies) was $65. He asked me to PayPal him the $30 to cover the difference after the bass arrives.

Frankly, I'm not sure what I want to do. Part of me wants to tell him to stuff it, and that he should have gotten a real quote before listing it. Part of me feels for the guy because I've been there.

What would you do?

2. Sounds to me like he paid $35 of tuition towards learning how to ship stuff you sell on the internet. If the last thing you said was we can cancel the order and refund the money if it was going to be more expensive, and then he ships it at a more expensive price than the agreed upon terms then that's 100% on him. You're under no obligation to cover the difference because he made that move on his own accord. You gave him an out, he chose not to take it. You don't owe him anything.

lfmn16, Templar, mrcbass and 2 others like this.
  3. I'd add that I took a pretty big hit on shipping an amp to Hawaii once. I didn't complain to the buyer, but I learned that I don't sell outside the continental US. I took my lumps and learned from my mistake and didn't ask him to fund it.

4. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    You're obviously a pretty compassionate guy to even ask. At most I'd split the additional with him, and that's only if the deal was really good to begin with.

TolerancEJ, LBS-bass and mrcbass like this.
  5. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    A thousand times no. The seller should treat this as a learning experience. I wouldn't reimburse a dime.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my decision would be based solely on whether i wanted the ax or not. i hear you that the situation has been handled poorly and that the seller has been less than forthright/conscientious...and that the extra charge/money for shipping was a surprise. but at the end of the day: do you want that ax, or not? ;)

7. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    It's in the truck by now, so it's on the way. The extra expense of shipping wasn't in my initial calculation. If it had been listed with $65 shipping I wouldn't have put in an offer.

8. JRA

i got that. i'm really asking a more basic question: do you want it?

if you don't = there's a process for getting your money back. -or- maybe take the deal and then dump the ax locally to get your money (+) back.
    if you do = congrats! you have another ax and you can keep it at your office! :thumbsup:

9. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Ah, gotcha. Well, it's not a life changer either way I guess. Good perspective.

Here's how I responded:

"I'm going to be frank. If shipping had been listed at $60 or $65 I would not have put in an offer. My last message to you specifically said that if shipping wasn't reasonable to you, then I would prefer that you cancel the order.

I've been in your position when an instrument cost more to ship than I had charged someone, but I took it as a learning experience and did not try to collect the difference from the buyer. Now I know to pack, measure and weigh things before offering a shipping quote. I understand why you shipped the bass the way you did, but that was your choice. I don't see that as my financial responsibility."

Jeff Elkins, gln1955, tonym and 4 others like this.
  10. JRA

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

edit: good luck!

11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Whether the seller realizes it or not, he's working a bait 'n switch gambit. I suspect he knows it because you offered to let him cancel the deal to avoid his getting stung by the actual shipping cost. But he went ahead and shipped anyway, presenting you with a fait accompli.

Now he's asking for $30, which sounds like he's simply renegotiating the bait 'n switch game for less cask-back $$. If you decline, he loses nothing. If you accept, mission accomplished.

Or....the seller is naive, and he's about to learn a valuable life lesson. In that case, you're doing him a solid by declining any cash-back. I'd hold fast and continue on playing by the rules as set forth by Reverb, as you have been doing, and have every right to do.

rockinrayduke likes this.
  12. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    So, just as an update, the bass came today, amazingly undamaged. I say amazingly because clearly all the shipper did was buy a guitar-sized box at FedEx and drop the bass (in a gigbag) headstock down inside said box, and slap some tape over the flap.

I need to look it over more closely tonight (I just got a cursory look this afternoon) but dang. No wonder they underestimated the shipping. They've clearly never shipped an instrument before.

Skammie likes this.
  13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I had that happen to me once but the seller was only complaining because he was trying to find the best deal for shipping and hadn't realized it would cost $90 to ship from there to here. We were just emailing back and forth in general when he mentioned it might take a few days because he was getting quotes. I offered to split the difference with him and he declined my offer. IMO that's what the seller should do when he makes a mistake, but also what the buyer should do is be understanding. A few dollars here or there is not worth the karma hit for me to be a stickler. Contrary to what we learned in the 80's, greed is not good.

So I'd say you should do what your conscience dictates. What's it worth to your conscience to hold him to his shipping price? If you're ok with that, then that's how you should go.

14. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Yep. This ended up being my biggest consideration. I split the difference with the seller because I'd rather have good vibes around the whole thing.

fhm555 and LBS-bass like this.
  15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and don’t mind making a newbies first stupid tax payment a little less painful if they are able to recognize their mistake and not be an ass about it.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Then don't pay him any more.

I bought a Hammond SK2 organ on Reverb. The shipping charge was $50. Actual shipping was $100. I split the extra $50 with him because I got a really good deal ($200 less than the next cheapest one) and he's a working musician and I have a day gig. Then he didn't insure it and there was $350 worth of damage. He wanted to split that too and I just said no. I can't imagine shipping something worth $1800 and not insuring it.

You aren't under any obligation to this guy, IMHO.

17. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Obviously the seller hasn't shipped a bass for sometime. I've given up on eBay and Reverb 'cuz the shipping is so damned expensive.

18. I'll give you points for using the word "flummoxed". That would be a double Triple Word Score in Scrabble probably....

BnB

19. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    And voila. The office bass. Split shipping and everyone is cool. 20190513_162443.jpg

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021