What Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H3rEye51nRoam, Jan 6, 2004.

1. H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Ok guys, I have a bunch saved up now and am looking to upgrade basses. I currently have an Ibanez GSR200. I have about $600 saved and for about the same price used I can get a Schectrer Stiletto Diamond Series Elite 4 with active electronics or a Warwick Corvette Standard w/ passive electronics. Which would you suggest and why? Thank you very much for the time.
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like the Schecter, I like EMG pups a lot! I like the playabilty of the Schecter and tone. To me an Ibenez sounds like tin. Take a look at the Spector's. Similar electronics but I like the tone and feel a lot better. I think the Q4 is the model in that price range, that's the best bang for your buck if my 2 cents means anything.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Out of those two id go with the Warwick.
  4. Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Without a doubt, out of the three brands listed I would definatley go with the Schecter. Great product for the price. Also check out the Lakland 55-01. Same price range but better than all 3 mentioned above!
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Schecter and the Warwick are both decent basses for the price. You probably want to play both of them first, as the feel is pretty different on the necks. Also, Corvettes tend to be neck heavy, so you might want to try it with a strap.

Since you are looking at 4 strings, I also recommend that you check out the Lakland 44-01 and the G&L Tribute L2000.
  6. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I'll trade you the bass for a laptop (after you buy it)

Sorry, get the Corvette, great passive bass with plenty of room for upgrades. ;)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
  8. My own experience...

I'm the proud owner of a Warwick Infinity LTD and an Streamer LX both four strings.

I could tell you that the feel is great and the posibilities of hardware adjustment and tone tayloring of this basses is huge.(Currently I'm playing in thre bands, metal stuff, 80's hard rock, and a weird mixture of jazz and funk).

Also they look really cool but thats very subjetive, cause I'm really in love with W stuff.

But my best advice for you is that if you can check and play both of them, do it. After that choose one. Your choices are both great, so don't listen too much to abducted-by-some-brand guys like me or everything-except-what-I-play-is-garbage dudes.
  9. H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Oh well, looks like I may end up buying the natural satin Stiletto Custom 4 for like $200 cheaper. Any reason why I should buy the Elite instead of the Custom? I am for sure getting a Schecter though, it's in my budget and they look great and from what I hear are awesome. Only diff I saw in the Custom and Elite was that the Elite has a Neck Thru body and has a 5 piece body. Any major diff besides that with the Custom and Elite? Any reason to go with the Elite over the Custom or vice versa? Oh well thanks.
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Give the Corvette a try. Even though its passive, I dig the pasive tone more than the active (ive got a Corvette 6). Also, its very well made and the body wood looks very good when you meet it in person. Also, the bubinga is not only nice-looking, its a growl monster when you play with the right technique at the bridge; but it is very responsive to where you play - that means lots of tones, even thought its passive.
    just my $0.02