Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What'd you think of this?... Changing a 4-string into a "five"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman45, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Hi,

Another poster suggested this as a method for creating a "5-string" bass. His method was to use B-E-A-D tuning on a 4-string fretless bass. I'm not sure of the string gauges he uses but in my mind you would have to use a real B (130 etc...) as the first string. Any red flags here? This sounds feasible but as always there might be hidden issues.

Thanks...

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    It should work okay. You might have to adjust the nut some for the wider gauge string. and maybe the saddle slot though I doubt it.

3. Might have a few issues getting that B to sound like a "normal" B with a 34" scale length though... that is, if you indeed have a 34".

~Ryan

4. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
  5. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Good point... the Fender Jazz V 5-string uses a 34" scale so I would think it would be alright. Looking at a MIA Jazz fretless on another page right now... God she's beautiful!

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    that's another Can-O-Worms you're opening right there that you can find a LOT of info on with the search function. You won't find a lot of answers, but you'll find a LOT of opinions that will contradict what you're saying.

7. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    What'd you think of this?... Changing a 4-string into a "five"

God am I a newbie or what?!!!! :bag: This is pretty common among you guys... I need to get out more often! :oops:

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    BEAD tuning is very common in this Nu-Commerfordistic era.

I tune that on my fretless 4 because it allows me to play across the neck instead of up and down with open strings for jazz.

9. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    Do you use a .125 gauge "B" as your first string?

Any nut adjustments on the fretless?

10. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
  11. Bassman45

Bassman45

Jul 16, 2005
    That was fast thanks!... so you haven't "widened" the nut on any of the strings?

12. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    This bass was old... I got it in parts from my friend. I didn't have to do any modification to the nut slots to get the strings to fit, but they seem to be a bit V shaped, instead of a curver U to the string gauge. Cheap plastic thing, but it works.

[​IMG]

That's the bass I'm talking about. I know the pic doesn't explain anything, but I wanted to show off my handy work I guess. :p

13. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
  14. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    "Sorry, no matches. Please try some different terms." No, that link doesn't work for me either; but it is easy enough to go back to the search function, and try different terms as suggested. There are numerous postings on this topic with a lot of useful information.

Regarding the BEAD tuning - I have a Jazz copy strung this way and am very satisfied with the sound. The B string is 130 gauge (Ernie Ball, long scale) and slightly loose open string and first fret, but certainly playable. Installed a Badass 2 bridge yesterday, and the sound just got punchier! The B string fit snugly through the bridge, so I didn't have to enlarge the hole. However, it was necessary to enlarge the nut slots for the B- and E-strings.

NOTE: Be very careful when removing material from the nut - a very little filing makes a big difference in string height.

15. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    me neither

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Nice Red Bull collection.