What's a good practice amp for a noob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Donte, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Donte

Donte

Feb 21, 2010
    San Diego
    Ok so I just bought a new bass and now I need a practice amp. I don't need anything nice just something I can use to hear my bass. I don't have a lot of money so the cheap the price the better. Thanks for any help or input.

2. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    I have the Line 6 lowdown 15. It has four main settings, and some fun effects. Plus it's not heavy, I carry it outside to practice all the time. It was about $165, but I kept stalling and GC gave it up for $140.

3. Vox Amplug = $40 (either bass or AC-60 will work)

OR Beheringer recording deck to headphones for about $50

Both new...

4. b20 thirded. Hard to beat.

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Fender Rumble 60

6. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    any 15-30W amp

7. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    A Fender Blues Deluxe makes a darn good rehearsal amp.

It helps to upgrade the speaker, but I've taken mine to numerous jams.

While you don't get a lot of bottom out of a single 12, it does cut through enough with 40 watts to work just fine with a live drummer.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Acoustic B20. Peavey Max also good bang for the buck.

9. THPBass

THPBass

Dec 15, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I'll also throw down for the Acoustic B20. I've got one sitting in my jam room. Not super loud, but actually sounds like a bass amp, with its 12" speaker and flexible EQ section.

10. i've had my b20 only since friday i got mine for 90.00 from a pawn shop ... when you get to the point you want to play with others it's got plenty of volume for that ...

and it sounds waaay better than any headphone amp i've tried
    or a used peavey minx 110 on ebay for around 100.00

11. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Fender RAD Bass has suited me well for a _LONG_ time. Sounds very good. Great for jamming with acoustic guitars or the stereo. I think the Rumble 30 is roughly equivalent. I think the Acoustic is probably also a great little amp, though.

KO

12. Behringer BXL450A.

No, really!

45W, cheap, the aux input is really handy, and sounds better than anything in that size and price range. It doesn't sound "ok for the price", it actually sounds pretty good.
    Don't use headphone amps unless you must avoid making noise... None of them sound just right.

13. Donte

Donte

Feb 21, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks everyone for your help. Going to GC tomorrow to listen to some amps and see which sounds the best for me.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    what makes the b20 so attractive is it has a 12" in it. most 20w practice amps use 10"s or 8"s. but the extra cab size is totally worth it.

15. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    +1

I like my MAX 110 for the apartment, but a 12" would be nicer.

16. thebassninja

thebassninja

Nov 28, 2009
    obviously acoustic makes the BEST products for dirt cheap.

17. thebassninja

thebassninja

Nov 28, 2009
  18. roysloco

roysloco

Sep 19, 2008
    Glasgow
    Laney RB1 (£65) - it just sounds incredible and has so much punch to it I've even used it as a bass stage monitor at some pretty loud rockin' gigs, it's flippin' amazing!! No fluff or nonsense, just a fantastic amp!

If you can afford it I'd get the RB2 (£90-ish) - it's twice the wattage and has a DI out and para-mid control. Don't think I'll ever play a local gig without it as my monitor again!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021