What's a good practice amp for a noob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Donte, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Pandora PX4 with good headphones will beat any practice amp out there for under $200 for the whole package.

2. I got a used Peavey Max 126 at GC for $50.... it amplifies bass, so it's a pretty good value.

The B20 sounded much better and would be a better value new/new comparison, but a practice amp is pretty much a practice amp. Aux in, Headphones out are almost necessary, but tone isn't ever great so it didn't amtter too much to me. The peavey has enough range to produce tolerable audible sounds at minimal volume. I haven't really tried to see how loud it goes, that's definatly not the point.

3. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The Acoustic B20 is great if you're really looking strictly for a practice amp (practicing by yourself)... nothing rated 20w is going to let you practice with a drummer/electric guitarist. But for a bedroom it's great.

I used a G-K Backline 112 for years as not only a practice amp but a small gig amp as well. It worked fine in 50-100 seat joints, and didn't even have to be DI'd to the PA. The tilt-back design was nice for both monitoring and projection in small venues. I'd still be using it if I hadn't fallen in love with a Markbass combo. It's $250, but you're buying yourself a lot more versatility.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger-Backline-112-Bass-Combo-103055976-i1145822.gc

4. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    FWIW, a little Peavey Minx (35 watts) just sold on Ebay for about $70 shipped ... I have one, paid $75 at Music Go Round ... you can also get a Basic 112 (50-60 watts) for around $100 as well, and they are built better than anything current ... before I spent $150+ shipping for a brand new (20 watt) practice amp, I would spend $150 for an old Peavey TKO or TNT or something similar and have something a bit more versatile to grow with ... JMHO

5. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    +1 regarding the GK Backline 112. Great amp.

6. Donte

Donte

Feb 21, 2010
    San Diego
    I ended up going with

803351136_suxwG-XL.jpg

So far I'm really happy with it. Once when I learn how to play I may bump it up to something better, but for now it works great. Thanks everyone for their advice.

7. I think you'll be happy with it. Congrats.

8. Donte

Donte

Feb 21, 2010
    San Diego
    I forgot to mention that the guy at GC sold it to me for $125 :D

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021