Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats big enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    hey guys...im new here, and ive been playing bass for a year, and its time to move on from my 15watt squier amp...
    i was looking into 1 x 15 combos....
    like a yorkville bm100 or a peavey 115...
    i was wonder, what would you guys recommend for a decent sounding 1 x 15 that's affordable...im saving up and am a bit of a tight budget...like 500 canadian, but i am totally willing to get a used amp...
    thanks guys

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I own an Ampeg B100r 100 watt combo. A lot of people vote it the best sounding combo of that size. It also is pretty loud for a 100 watt. What kind of tone are you lookng for? The Ampeg has a nice vintage tone and it is pretty smooth. It has nice lows, but really smooth, rather than growly.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    yea man, that sounds pretty sick, is it a 1 x 15?
    and how much did u get if for...how much cud i get it used?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It is a 1 x 15. I got it for $162.50 + shipping = 200 total. (prices in American dollars). Normally they go for more than that, just mine isnt in great condition (Ampeg logo was taken off, and a few small tears in tolex) but it works fine. I usually see them sell for $250 - $300 on ebay.

5. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    and it would be loud enough for a band practise and a small venue...like a house party?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely. Thats basicaly what im doing with it now. My band only got together about 8 months ago. We do practices in a medium sized room, and occasionally house parties.

7. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thanks so much for your help...i really appreciate it...
    so do you think i cud get it used for around 500 canadian?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Seeing as 500 canadian dollars is. $382 ish american dollars , yes it is quite probable.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also check the classifieds forum at the bottom of the forum list. People here sell them often for around $300. (american)

10. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    thanks alot man, im gonna call the guitar shops around here and ask about that amp...
    i think i may just pick one up
    your a great help...

i just feel like a nobody, when you look at the 'show us your amps' thread...and some people have enough wattage to blow the hair off your balls...and im sitting here with a 1 x 8 squier combo that isnt even close to loud enough for a band practise...and my band mates are looking at me all wierd cause u can barely here bass during the practises...
    my lead guitar player uses a marshall 2 x 12 combo and its awsome ... and my ryhtm uses a 1 x 12 fender which may need to be replaced along with my amp....

sorry for all the questions, but u helped me out alot.

11. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    awsome...will do.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Glad i could help. Im upgrading my amp to a head/cab combo of some sort at the end of the summer (when i have money) because my bad will probably start to get bigger gigs by then but this amp is really great for what i need at the moment.

13. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    yea, were pretty small right now too, nothing bigger than local punk shows at a hall...

14. if you havnt already got a amp i say go yorkville and get a xm200t its a 2x10 combo amp 200 watts and will kick some seriouse ass i am sure ox will back this up. u could probably pick one up for that money i believe they are just short of 800 canadian new but i am sure you can find one in ontario in your budget it will be more than loud enough for what u are playing and if u ever need more volume it has a extension speaker jack if u add a 1x15 cabinet later u will have a half decent rig there. well thats my take but remember play before you buy.

15. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ya man, my buddies got a yorkville 1 x 15...they sound pretty awsome, you said it would cost around 800 new canadian?
    well im going to the music store today...so i'll be sure to try some both the ampeg and yorkville out.

16. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    man i just looked into that xm200t and it sounds awsome...the price is amazing,
    a new 2x10 combo for under 700 canadian...(thats what the reviews say)
    thats amazing, im fixed on this amp, and i wanna see if i can find it used, but ive not ill be glad to pitch out the extra 125 bucks for it.
    thanks for that sweet find...
    does anyone on here play one, or has?

17. I played through a yourkville bassmaster 100W 1x15 combo, and it did well for the time i used it. If your just playing small shows now and such, i would probably recommend a 2x10 combo, as it will cuz a bit better in a band. Also.. if you wanted to spend a bit more... the new 400W Yorkville head sells for 650$ Canadian, NEW.

I don't have any yorkville equipment anymore, but it served me well when i had it.

NEVER BUY THEIR CABLES... EVER

18. glad u liked the xm200t you will not have troubles wiht the volume for a while unless your guitarist is using a 150 watt half stack.

19. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    Bigwig, besides the Ampeg combos (which are great) check the used market and ebay for used Peavey combos. If you can find an old Peavey Combo 300 w/a 15" Black Widow speaker, you'll have all the amp you'll need for everything up to medium-sized clubs. Add an extension cab, you'll probably have enough amp for most everything else. I bet you can easily find one for the amount of money you have to spend.

Compared to some of the people here, I have a medium-sized amp. The longer I stay around, the bigger my amp gets. Quite addictive. :D

20. You said you been playing for about a year. Then heck yea, it is time to step up to a bigger and better amp! Don't feel bad about only having a 1x8 squire. It can and should still serve you. We all started out like that. (Well, most of us.) I still have the first amp I bought, a Pevey 100wattTNT 1x15 and it sits in my drummer's basement. (He can't tell the difference anyway.)

As you learn the bass you will start to get an idea of what your sound is and you will start seeking out what amp and speaker setup best supports you. It will come. That's why there is so many amps out there for bass. No one amp fits the needs of all bass players.

Stay your course, stay in your budget, listen the the advice the others have given. And remember: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!! Play the amp before you buy it. (If possible.)

AW